Overexposed Image in Auto Mode

edited March 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I have a 60D that I like using in auto mode because it's easy, especially when I hand it to other people to take family group photos or even my kids to take a picture of me and my wife. For some reason, some photos come out very overexposed while indoors with the flash. I don't have this problem outdoors.

What's really weird is that I can take two photos back-to-back and one is perfect while the next one is very problematic or vice versa. Nothing has changed in lighting or the subjects, I'm just pushing the shutter two consecutive times a couple of seconds apart. I don't remember my camera doing this initially. Is something wrong with it, or is something wrong with me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Swami

Comments

• edited March 2013
    I forgot to add that I have the 18-135mm lens that came with it.
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks so much for the response, I really appreciate it!

To answer your questions, I am using auto focus and no tripod.

I will re-read the pages you suggested.

One point of clarification; you said you never use manual focus with this camera. Autofocus gave me unpredictable results. Is there a typo in there somewhere?
  • edited March 2013
    @Swami - This is just a shot in the dark... no pun intended :) ...is it possible that the flash didn't fire during the second shot?

If you're taking a bunch of shots using the built-in flash you have to give it a few seconds for it to recycle and power up for the next shot. If your batteries are low, this recycling speed can slow down quite a bit.

If you can post a couple examples to flickr, I can take a look at the EXIF data and I'll be able to pinpoint the issue.
  • edited March 2013
    So, what did you mean to say Liontamer? Thanks for the help.
  • edited March 2013
    Moose, thanks for the help. I will create a flicker account and post some pictures tomorrow and let you know. By the way, the flash went off for all the pictures. Very logical possibility, however.
  • edited March 2013
    I agree with everything you wrote Liontamer, but inevitably there are many occasions indoors such as birthdays, general family shots and animals in the house. It's very frustrating to have a great picture otherwise ruined by a very bright overexposed image. I will post some examples tomorrow of some general pictures shot back-to-back. Thanks for your help.
  • edited March 2013
    @Swami

Your 18-135mm lens is not a happy camper indoors with no flash. I bought a Canon 430 EXII and it made a world of difference for me.

A cheaper alternative could be to purchase the Nifty fifty (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8). It's a fantastic lens, around $100 used, and wide open it can literally take pictures in the dark with no flash. The downside of 50mm is that it is sometimes not wide enough in enclosed spaces, such as around a dinner table with friends, but otherwise it is an outstanding value for the price.