Best Lens for Europe Travel

edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
Hi @Moose. I know there's already been lots of questions on the best lens for travel, but I'm hoping you can help me out anyway! I recently purchased a D5100 with the basic 18-55mm lens and I'm new to photography.

I'll be going to Europe soon, and I'm thinking about getting the 55-200mm Nikkor lens to go with my 18-55mm lens. Do you think this will be enough range to cover most travel shots (some landscapes, people etc)? I know an all in one lens like the 18-200mm and 18-300mm lenses are more convenient for travel, but considering I have a wedding coming up to pay for and I'm new to photography I'm happy to start cheaper and work my way up. I don't want to spent too much so I'm willing to sacrifice this convenience.

Grateful for your help!

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Might I recommend that if you do get a 55-200mm get the one with VR; Nikon 55-200mm VR AF-S f/4-5.6G ED

I like mine. Any other telephoto options seem to be pretty spendy! Some prefer the 55-300mm for a little more reach, however at the long end the performance may not stack up, so that is mostly a personal preference call.
  • Howdy @clee - Yep, the 55-200mm VR would be a great compliment lens to your 18-55mm lens. The added zoom range will allow you to zoom into distant subjects/scenes and create compositions that aren't possible with your 18-55mm.

A word of caution, both the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm are designed to be used outdoors in bright light. They're not intended to capture moving subjects (portraits, group shots, etc...) in low light. You can shoot motionless subjects like buildings and landscapes in low light, but you'll need the assistance of a tripod.

One other lens you might consider is the Nikon 35mm or 50mm f/1.8G. Both of these lenses excel in low light and will allow you to take portraits (without flash) both indoors and in low light. If you follow the links I provided (above) for each lens, you'll see my visual guide which illustrates all the types of photography each lens is good at.

Ultimately, the biggest difference between these lenses is the focal length. The 35mm captures a wider field of view than the 50mm. The 50mm allows you to take portraits and candids from a farther distance.

Hope that all makes sense and happy shooting!
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks Moose! That's very helpful and all makes sense; your visual guides are just what I needed. I think I'll start with the 55-200mm for now and if the budget affords might splurge out on a 35mm or 55mm.
  • @clee - Glad to help...have a great trip! :)