Lens Hood for a 60D with an 18-135mm Zoom Lens?

edited March 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hi,

What would you recommend to purchase for a 18-135mm zoom lens hood? I don't have a lot of money, but I want to get something quality that will do the trick without shadowing the lens.

Thanks in advance, Ellen

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Have you looked on eBay?

I have bought a few hoods compatible ones from there.
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks! I did notice it might make it harder to fit the camera in. I just got a new sling bag. While there is more room, I think it will definitely be tight. In a pinch I use my hand.
  • edited March 2013
    Some hoods can be reversed so that the hood doubles back on the lens when not in use, so they don't take up any more length (only increasing the width of the barrel).
  • edited April 2013
    B&H has the Canon hood, and an aftermarket hood for the 18-135mm lens. The Canon version is the petal hood, and can be reversed on the lens when it is stored. The hood actually serves 2 purposes. First it keeps out unwanted light when taking a photo, and second it offers some protection if the lens is dropped.
  • edited May 2013
    @MisterD - thanks for the cool tip "Some hoods can be reversed so that the hood doubles back on the lens when not in use". I just tried it and that is nice! ~Mitch
  • edited May 2013
    Here's my twopence worth. Even with the Canon petal hood expect some cut-off at the 18mm end. I gave up using mine because of this. When out and about with an 18 to something mm lens, it is a pain to have to remember to remove the hood before using wide angle.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited July 2013
    I actually dropped my camera the other day and I have never been happier that I had a lens hood attached! The lens hood cracked and broke and the lens was saved! I also always use a clear UV filter to protect my lens from scratches, fingerprints and accidental knocks if I don't use a lens hood.
  • edited July 2013
    @EllenC I just ordered a hood for my lens yesterday on amazon. With shipping I payed like $12 so I don't know how good it will be, but I will keep posting on it as soon as I get it. I bought the hood for my 18-200mm lens but still it was a cheap price to pay.