Best Lens Setup For Canon T3i

edited September 2012 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
Hi Moose,

I'm about to buy my first camera and I think I have decided on a Canon T3i.
First question, in terms of directly simliar products to the T3i, am I making the right choice going with the Canon?
Second, I plan on using the camera for general daily use; sports, holidays, family events etc. I am very much in the beginner stage and just want a decent camera to take good photos. I am unsure what lens I should get to begin with. Should I go with the twin lens that come with the camera or possibly get a single lens with a decent range, possibly 18-200mm? I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,

Joel

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I am not Moose, but here's my two cents.

Modern cameras such as the T3i boast amazing capabilities and capture great images. You really can't go wrong with Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. Cameras vary in features which you may find desirable or not, but basic image quality is outstanding across the board. So you can purchase a T3i with confidence.

My only advice regarding lenses is don't be cheap. Using cheap kit lenses would be like purchasing a Porsche and then fitting it with cheap tires. You should start with a 50mm f/1.8 lens, which runs about $100 and provides outstanding images.

Also, for a great all around lens you can use indoors, outdoors, for landscape, family parties and weddings, I like the 17-55mm f/2.8. With that and a 430EX flash you're all set.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
  • edited February 2013
    I have my T3i and I don't know which lens to choose for capturing bokeh. I'm planning to buy 50mm f/1.8.