Nikon 35mm f/1.8G or Nikon 50mm f/1.8G?

edited February 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I read the post "Best settings for isolating objects" where you suggest the buy of Nikon 35mm f/1.8G or Nikon 50mm f/1.8G. What is their differences? What can each lens give you that the other cannot? I tried to zoom to 55mm and rotated the smaller command dial to set my aperture, but, the subject in front was blurred and the background was clear (indoor, lights on, flash on, manual focus, -i set on the lens, switch to M, ISO auto, shutter auto). What was I doing wrong? If I was outside in the morning would I get different results? Since I can afford only one more lens, which one from the two mentioned above should I get? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• edited February 2013
    I have the DX 35mm f/1.8G, and it's a great lens for a low price. It is designed for APS-C sized cameras, like the D5100. The Nikon FX 50mm f/1.8G is for full-frame cameras. The DX 35mm has a picture angle of 44°. The FX 50mm has it on a DX camera 31°30'. I recommend you the DX 35mm.

Your subject was blurred, because you have switched the auto focus to manual focus on the lens. In this case, you have to manually set the focus by rotating the focus ring on the lens until the subject will be sharp, or simply switch the focus back to auto on the lens.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks man. I set the focus from the arrows and it was OK. My mistake was in the AF-area mode. By default the selected auto, and the right one was the Single-point AF. Concerning the lens, thank you very much for the information!
  • edited February 2013
    Bear in mind the 1.5X factor of Nikon DX cameras; the 35mm effectively becomes a 52.5mm and the 50mm becomes a 75mm. With that in mind, you have to decide which is better suited for the type of photography you plan on using it for.
  • edited February 2013
    I just ordered the 50mm f/1.8G not knowing it would be more like a 75mm. Should be interesting. I suppose I will just have to play with it first and decide if I like it enough or if I should get a 35mm someday as well.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks! When you find out let me know please!
  • edited February 2013
    Adelphe, where are you from?
  • edited February 2013
    I suspect I'll like it more than some as I prefer things that require a bit of distance rather than being a few feet from the subject.

I'm from South Dakota originally. I spent a few years in California and now live in Nebraska.
  • edited February 2013
    Minor update for you. I went into the local photo shop today to test shoot the 35mm and 50mm one after another. The problem lies in how the store was set up. You can't notice the difference hardly at all when everything is a maximum of 10-15 feet from you. I tried looking over the shelf and out the window but that didn't help much.

I took pictures of my girlfriend with both and had to step back a bit with the 50mm (on a D5200), but it was manageable. I noticed what people talked about with the 35mm ever so slightly distorting facial features if I was too close.

Thus far I am happy with my 50mm and will await it's arrival for further review. Hope this very novice and brief look at them helps you. I really don't think the 50mm will be horrible indoors but if I did it all over again I would probably just get the 35mm first and not have to worry about it. Better to have one lens that will work both indoors and out than one that is great outside with room but needs some special attention in tight spaces. Go with the 35mm is what I would tell you. Resale seems to be really good if you really decided to bump to the 50mm later.