Sports Mode

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
All my pictures come out blurry when taking a picture of some thing moving. I have it on sports mode when trying to take pictures of my kids playing ball and they all come out blurry. I took some samples of a fast moving hand and every picture is a blur. I tried this with my 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses and ended up with the same problem.

I also did a reset just to make sure all settings were back to default .

http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/o495/workcrew2012/

Comments

• edited January 2013
    First of all please be sure that the VR button is switched to on on the lens.
    I think it's better to use the shutter priority mode by turning the mode dial to S. In this mode you can modify the shutter speed, which will help you to freeze motion. While you are indoors, also pop-up the flash. By rotating the command dial you will see on the LCD screen that the numbers are changing in the center of the LCD (1/15, 1/60, with built-in flash popped up until 1/200). To freeze motion rotate the command dial up to 1/200 and then try to shoot and see if the motion is frozen.
    To take pictures of kids playing ball, you still have to use shutter priority mode. In this case, set your focus mode to AF-C (continuous-servo AF), and set your AF-area mode to 3D-tacking (11 points). Both settings can be changed by pressing the I button next to the viewfinder.
    Set your shutter speed to 1/200 or 1/400 by rotating the command dial, in order to freeze motion. Finally, all you have to do is to half-press and hold the shutter button. The camera will start tracking the moving subject and keep that in focus. To take a sharp picture totally press the shutter button.
    If you can not set the required shutter speed, you also have to raise the ISO.
  • edited January 2013
    At this point I'm trying everything. One thing I can't use is the flash.
  • edited January 2013
    I'm not sure if turning on the VR is going to help much. That just reduces hand shake. To me it sounds like you have too much motion for the shutter speed you're using. If you have your aperture opened all the way and you're using the corresponding metered shutter speed and are still getting motion blur, then you're going to want to use a higher ISO. If it's an autofocusing issue, then changing your autofocus servos will help as the previous writer suggests.