Help me choose Canon 28mm f/1.8 or Sigma 30mm f/1.4?

edited October 2012 Posted in » Canon Lens Talk
I have a 50mm f/1.8 lens but I find it narrow.

I've used the 50mm (the Sigma f/1.4) on a full frame camera, and I found it really nifty.
I've decided that I *need* a 50mm equivalent, which is about a 31mm on the 60D.

I'll be using this for everything. The low light and tiny depth of field that's achievable are what I'm looking for.

There are few choices, but it really only comes down to two (please correct me) and I can't see any real differences.
Does anyone have a view or experience with these? What would you get and why?

The two are:
Canon 28mm f/1.8
Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Budget is a concern (these cost the least).

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I got a deal on a used 35mm f/2 Canon lens, otherwise I would have gone with the Sigma.

I purchased it because 50mm wasn't wide enough.

However, 30mm or 35mm on a crop sensor still isn't wide enough for some architectural/landscape shots or some indoor group pictures taken in tight spaces, so I purchased the Canon EF-S 17-55mm IS f/2.8 zoom lens used for $800. I know it's serious money, but now I can take the shots I want.
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks amigo. I went with the Sigma. The f/1.4 aperture sold it for me.

I was worried about the build quality, and people have said you should be worried about Sigma lenses as not all focus accurately. It feels like its been built very well and I have no issues with it focusing yet.

I wanted it to replace my 50mm which was mainly used for portraits. I just needed something a little wider. It's now my all purpose every day lens.

I already have the 10-22mm Canon. I'll be constantly swapping the two when on holiday, but for now the 30mm is the lens that's most used.

Thanks again.