Stock T2i for Newborn Photography

edited December 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I've had had my T2i since last Christmas and I really have not had the opportunity to shoot much without using the Auto Mode. My wife and I are expecting a baby at any time now and she wants me to pull off some semi-professional looking photos of our newborn. I have the standard 18-55mm lens and I also have a large zoom lens, not sure on the numbers. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• edited December 2012
    With your T2i and the 18-55mm kit lens you should be able to take very nice shots of your newborn.

I would shoot close to the 50mm focal length. At 18mm beware of the wide angle distortion in portraits:

http://www.123rf.com/photo_2660119_little-girl-s-face-distorted-in-a-wide-angle-lens-shot.html

I use the flash for filling shadows, even in daylight.

Congratulations on your new baby. I wish you lots of happiness.
  • edited December 2012
    Something to consider with baby photography, shoot super close. A shot of a hand that fills your frame or tiny fingers holding mom's finger always gets the awe factor. You need to be careful of the lighting being too harsh but shooting in the early morning using sunlight coming in through the window should give you soft golden light. Keep in mind that natural morning light is not all that bright so use a tripod when you can and you will be thrilled with the results.
    Congratulations on the new baby and happy shooting!
  • edited January 2013
    The 50mm f/1.4 is an awesome lens if you are looking to purchase a new one. I've had mine for about eight months, and have yet to be disappointed photographing my children who are two and three. I would skip the flash if possible since it can look a little harsh and disturb the baby.
  • edited May 2013
    Little late to this, but the cheap f/1.8 50mm for 100 bucks is a fantastic lens with plenty of low light capability. Get some outdoor shots with an ND filter perhaps if needed, but like others said, close up is always good.