Three Clicks when Taking a Picture

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hello, I just got the Nikon D5100 for my birthday and it's a bit too advanced for me. The one thing I can't understand is
when taking a picture in Auto mode, why it clicks three times. I'm sure one is the shutter, but I dont know what the other two sounds are.
At first when I heard the first click I would move my camera to look at the picture and it was either blurry or a shot a picture of the floor. I have to wait until all three clicks are done before I move the camera. This just doesn't seem right.

It takes too long to get one picture, let alone taking two or three fast shots.

I have not made any changes to the setting on my camera.

Memory card: Extreme 45mb sdhc1 (1) (10) 16gb SanDisk

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Are you sure you are in auto and not A mode. Does the flash pop up when you are taking a picture in low light? If not then you are not in auto mode.
  • edited January 2013
    The dial is on auto, not A mode.
  • edited January 2013
    Tony, check the following:

1. Flash mode is set to Auto. Make sure it's not something else like slow or rear.
    2. Bracketing mode is it set to off. Make sure it is not something else like AE or ADL.

If nothing else works, do a two button reset which will reset most changeable settings back to default. This is how you do it: simultaneously press the menu and info buttons (designated with green dots) for 2 or 3 seconds.

Good luck.
  • edited January 2013
    I'm going to try and see if that works. Thanks!
  • edited January 2013
    I tried all that. The flash is set to Auto, bracketing is off and now the ADL is set to ADL A by default. Before I reset the camera I had down to two clicks. Now it takes four clicks to take a single picture.

I find my self using my old Fujitsu S7000. It's so much better and faster to use.

• edited January 2013
    Hi Tony, do you have the camera in Live View mode? That would cause it to be slower and have more clicks.
  • edited January 2013
    No, but I tried live view both on and off.
  • edited January 2013
    Check the interval timer shooting setting on your camera. It is last in the shooting menu options. Go to Menu > Camera icon.
  • Check your release modes and make sure it's set for single-frame.