Best Lens for Street Photography

Hi, I like very much to shoot street photography. I have a 18-55mm kit lens, so what other lens should I buy?

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Chedyus, I am buying in dollars, and 219.00 euro is almost 300.00 dollars. I understand what your saying about buying used, but there are always a couple very nice ones on eBay for less, so why not.
  • edited January 2013
    Vanorys, maybe there are some used things which you can buy from eBay, but in my opinion when it comes to cameras and lenses it is better if you save some money and buy new. The products can look good in eBay pictures, but when you receive them they are total rubbish. Plus for new ones you get a warranty.
  • edited January 2013
    @riddelske I wanted to ask you the autofocus speed for the 18-55mm kit lens. Is it the same as the 35mm or 55mm, or is it faster?
  • edited January 2013
    It is a lot faster; during daylight you will see the difference. In low light it struggles a bit, but it can still cope. In my opinion the 35mm is a lot quicker, but some say the 50mm is better. On both lenses you have M/AF option so you can quickly focus if it does not autofocus properly without switching.
  • edited January 2013
    I was under the assumption that with the D3100 w/DX, the 35mm is really (x1.5) equalling a 52.5mm and the 50mm=75mm because of the DX format. Or is it truly a 35mm or 50mm because they are DX lenses on a DX rather than FX?. Thanks for your input!
  • edited January 2013
    The focal length does not change; a 50mm is a 50mm. What your saying is correct, but it is the field of view. What you see is what you should get. Both FX and DX lenses will have a crop. If you have not used an old film (35mm) then you should forget it. In my opinion I don't think it matters on this post.
  • edited January 2013
    Digital36, check out this thread. This will explain it all: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3131487

Regards
  • edited January 2013
    Anyone else noticed that with 35mm f/1.8 you can take photos with very high ISO? I did with actual H1 and it turned out good! I was shocked! With the kit lens the ISO H1 is like mobile phone picture. This glass is bargain for what it does!
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks for the info and link Riddelske!
  • edited January 2013
    Just want to let you know I changed my mind for last time and I bought the 35mm lens. :)
  • edited January 2013
  • edited January 2013
    So days have passed. How have you been doing with our lens? Personally I love my 35mm. I can get what's happening in my view but what I miss from the 50mm are people shots. It's very complicated for me. I might go for the Tokina 12-24mm for an ultrawide, the 35mm f/1.8g for street wide/evening and the 50mm for people. I know it's a lot of lenses, but they are all so good.
  • edited January 2013
    The 35mm lens is very sharp, but I'm not so happy with the autofocus because it is a little bit slow. You can see my photos on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chedyus/
  • edited January 2013
    The pictures are great chedyus. I'm loving the one of the canoes and the old man. Auto focus shouldn't be a problem. In my opinion the 50mm is just as quick as the 35mm.
    When you're shooting, what focus points are you using (AF-S, C etc)?
  • edited January 2013
    Hi riddelske. I am happy with my lens. It is quick, but in my opinion not quick enough. It can't be perfect! Sometimes I use AF-A and sometime AF-S. Thanks for looking at my photos. :)
  • edited January 2013
    Chedyus, when doing any shots of a stationary subject (those canoes) AF-S is the best option. When working with moving subjects that are unpredictable I tend to use AF-C. I think your pictures are great and keep shooting. I bet now your wanting to save for the 50mm :)
    Regards
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks, I will try AF-C next time. I don't think I am going to buy the 50mm; I'm very happy with 35mm. I use this lens for everything. Now I just want to learn my DSLR (manual mode, exposure, settings). The only way to learn is to keep shooting.
  • edited October 2013
    Hi @Riddelske, can you please check my photostream. I really need some critique to know what I should improve on. You have so much experience, thanks!
  • edited February 2013
    Hi chedyus,
    First I'd like to say its nice to be asked for an opinion on someone's work; for that I feel honored. I may have experience but only to a certain extent. There is no right and wrong in street photography. You're capturing moments in life that can't be altered or staged to an extent; it's what you make it and how you see life; it's an art. What you see may not be what someone else sees. On a personal note, I don't like critiquing something. I believe what one does is an achievement and I find it hard to pin point something when you should be praised for what you have done. The photostream was interesting with some great shots that were creative and inspiring. That's the photographers eye and what you see as a great shot. For the portrait shot of a guy on the bike I would recommend some fill flash or a reflector, but again that's my preference. I like your style and it would be ideal for a magazine or something along those lines. Creativity is personal and how you see it.; no one can influence you, you can only gain this through practice and experimenting. The silhouette shot was amazing with great detail and excellent composition. Personally you would benefit with an upgrade on your camera. You obviously don't need to work on creativity because you have that already. If you're looking for someone to find faults (in technical terms) in the pictures, then I'm not your man. I don't believe it's that important when starting out. Like I said previously not everyone sees what you see. As a studio photographer I see problems that others cannot. I can't imagine what damage you would do with a 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikon. ;)

• edited July 2013
    After all this time I purchased a new Nikon D7000 and a new zoom lens Nikon 55-300mm. I made a FB page for my photos: http://facebook.com/zmarianphotography
    I still have and use the 35 mm. What about you @riddelske. How are things?