Canon T3i Versus Nikon D5100

edited November 2012 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
Hello Moose and everyone,
I was hoping someone might offer some advice in choosing a camera. I am upgrading from an older Nikon D40. Today I spent a while looking at the nikon D5100 and the Canon Rebel T3i. By the time I left the store, I was leaning toward the Nikon, however I came home to read many reviews of a shutter malfunction that resulted in black pictures which Nikon did not repair as included in the warranty (there were probably 20 of these reviews out of the 350 reviews on amazon). So now I'm at a bit of a loss. I have read in a few places that Canon's customer service is much better. So when looking at a camera that might malfunction and a company that won't help, I am nervous!

I also really liked the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 lens, but I see that Canon's only comparable was a 50mm. That's certainly not a bad thing, but I did like the wider area of the 35mm a bit more.

So now I'm at a loss again. Where I felt my previous Nikon fell short is in megapixels, sharpness and especially color richness. Granted it is quite a bit older so I imagine that any model would improve upon what I have. In the opinion of those of you who have used both or who prefer one greatly, can you tell me which one and why.

Thanks so much!
erika

Comments

• edited November 2012
    If this has already been answered just post the link for me. Searched, but I couldn't find it.
  • edited December 2012
    I am also torn between the Nikon D5100 and Canon Rebel T3i. I am in the process of buying my first DSLR and can't decide between the two. I am aware that Canon has better video, but I'm more interested in the photo quality. I am torn and have read so many reviews that I feel like I'm running in circles. Does anyone have any advice on these two?
  • edited December 2012
    These are both great consumer cameras. The Nikon has a slight edge in low light (less noise at high ISO), which is useful if you like to take shots in dark places without flash. The T3i has a better video codec.

You really can't go wrong with either. Both are capable of taking amazing pictures. The lenses you put in front of the body matter more than the body itself anyway.

If you already have a collection of Nikon lenses, then you might want to go with the Nikon in order to be able to reuse them. Same if you've already invested in Canon glass. Otherwise I would advise you to grab the best deal you can find in the stores.

I purchased the T3i despite the fact that my previous body was a Nikon because of the video capabilities and Magic Lantern. If I had been uninterested in video, then I would have gone with a Nikon body, because the professional photographers I know (small sample) all use Nikon and told me Nikon had better sensors (at the time I made my purchase).

Good luck and happy shooting.
  • The sensor in the T3i is the same one in the 7D. I know that the sensor in the D5100 is not the same as the higher end models. Check out this site that does great comparisons. http://www.cameralabs.com/
  • edited December 2012
    Also check out this site with some professional users using the T3i. Both cameras will do a fantastic job.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1020976

I chose the Canon based on it having the same sensor as the 7D after seeing reviews and seeing pictures by professionals.
  • edited December 2012
    Hi, I'm using a T3i and so far I've enjoyed the experience. I also understand that you are more concerned on picture quality which I believe Nikon may have an extra edge but I still prefer Canon since people who taught me the rudiments of photography use Canon (it's a littel biased). I'd like to go rogue here and it seems that Sony SLT has a better overall user experience to offer (10fps, much lower noise in high ISO, larger sensor at almost the same price). Please google it to get specs and reviews.
  • edited January 2013
    I also am trying to decide between these same cameras. I have a lot of Nikon gear from the film days. I quit taking pictures in 1986 when my wife was killed; we used to do it together. Now I am picking it up again. I have been told I can still use the lenses from the film camera on the 5100 but I would be guessing at a lot of things like exposure. I don't know if the film era Nikons have any worth to sell them as I am not interested in guessing when trying to learn a new camera.

I am not interested in Sony anything. Their quality has gone downhill and their idea of Customer Service is horrible in my opinion and experience.

I know there are people that are extremely brand loyal, especially those that own Mac computers. I have been in IT for over 20 years and when management decided to get rid of the Mac and replace them all with PC's, some people wanted to fight me rather than switch. I want the best camera at the best price. I also want customer service that is there when you need them and they know what the term means.

Thanks for your help!
  • edited February 2013
    The Nikon D5100 has the same sensor as the D7000.