How To Shoot Indoors With Fluorescent Lights And Outdoors In Sunlight

edited October 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hello guys,

I am a new DSLR user and I have bought the D5100. I'm trying to learn how to use it step by step but I need to know what is the best way to shoot inside the house with normal fluorescent light?

Also, what is the best way to shoot outside in the afternoon in the city with buildings and cars around and under the sunlight ?

I thank you in advance for your answer.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I forgot to say that in both cases I am just trying to shoot people.
  • edited December 2012
    I am in the same boat; I hope we get some tips! :)
  • edited December 2012
    I'm new just like you two and can't really give advice. I've only had my Nikon D5100 for about four days, but I have done an extensive (almost borderline obscene) amount of reading mostly based on aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Along with that, I follow Moose's general directions and guidelines and tinker with the settings in each situation.

I think in one of the write ups he says to find an object in a decent lit area, not too bright but not too overcast and just play with it in manual mode to see how changing settings helps with the exposure. That's just what I've been doing.

If their is anyone who is more affluent with this it would be great to get some more insight.
  • edited December 2012
    It depends. Use aperture priority mode for portraits with auto white balance or simply choose from other white balance.
  • edited December 2012
    I invested in a Nikon SB700 Speedlight Flash for my Nikon D5100. I point the flash to have it bounce off the ceiling or wall; I never have it directly facing my subject. I have always had really good lighting off of this with no problem.