EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens

edited December 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I asked for help about macro lenses earlier. Thanks for the help on that topic.

After some soul searching about the sort of photography I love, it has to be wildlife and sport. A friend has recommended the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens. Any advice about the performance of this lense with the 60D would be most welcome.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I love mine!

Does that help?
  • edited December 2012
    I rented one for a zoo trip about a month ago and I cried when I had to give it back! It's an awesome lens, but I've heard more than once that you can get a bad copy that just refuses to give a sharp picture. The one I had was perfect. The only change I'd make would be to make it at least an f/2.8 or f/3, but that would triple the price. As aoon as funds allow I'll have one of my own.
  • edited December 2012
    I also like mine very much, but have heard very good things about the non-IS EF 400mm f/5.6L USM too. You may want to check that out, because it's cheaper by $200 but of course not as versatile without the variable focal length.
  • edited December 2012
    @demist98 - I agree with everyone here. I have rented the very one you are talking about and like @speedfreak said when I buy mine it will be the f/2.8. It will help you when you are in the dark wood line shootng into the deeper woods. Also under the stadium lights it will give you the speed needed to freeze the action.

I shoot sports a lot and you can check some photos out on my Facebook (Auston Bass, Columbia, Ms).

Good luck and happy shooting,
    Auston
  • edited December 2012
    Thanks for the advice.

We bought the lens, now all I have to do is wait for Christmas Day!

Any tips about using it would be fantastic, I will be shooting birds and deer (hopefully) over Christmas and then rugby in the new year.

I will let everyone know how I get on.
  • edited January 2013
    Got the lens! Just waiting for the rain to stop! I'm based in the UK and we have some major flooding at the moment. Can't wait to get out and see some sun.
  • edited January 2013
    Hi guys, for those of you looking at the 100-400mm you should seriously consider the 70-300mm L IS. I have traded my 100-400mm in for this lens and the difference is mind blowing. It is very well balanced on the 60D body better so than the 100-400mm and sharp! I love it. Much faster AF and also works well with the Kenko 1.4 pro300DGX. My bird pictures are miles better and the color saturation in all the pictures is so much better. I am very happy to have exchanged and up until now have not missed the loss of the 100mm. The pictures are so much sharper you can get the 100mm back on the crop.
    Cheers,
    Barrie
  • edited January 2013
    Barrie, that sounds very intriguing, thanks. Just to confirm, so you still can use AF with the Kenko 1.4x? If so, how fast is the AF compared to the 100-400mm?