Lens Compatibility Help

edited October 2012 Posted in » Canon Lens Talk
I was recently given a Canon EOS 300D camera with a Tamron af 70-300mm f/1:4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro (1:2) lens on it. I am going to get a T3i very soon, but would like to know if the lens that came on the 300D would be compatible with the T3i. Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    @bugger707 - yes the lens will work. So get your new T3i and enjoy my friend.

Auston
  • edited October 2012
    Thank you!
  • edited October 2012
    @buggers707 - And Roger!
  • edited November 2012
    Hi, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on my first DSLR Canon EOS 550D, and I intend on focusing on portrait photography. I found a very interesting 50mm f/1.8 lens for only $100, so I thought I'd buy it instead of the standard 18-55mm lens. I was told by someone that the lens won't work unless I use an adaptor. I couldn't find any information on the web (or maybe I wasn't searching hard enough), and I was hoping I could get some of your expertice on this matter. Thanks a lot.
  • edited December 2012
    @athena - If it is a Canon 50mm then it will work, if it is not damaged on the inside. All Canon lens that are marked EOS or ES will work on your 550D. I hope this helped and happy shooting.

Auston
  • edited January 2013
    I am a 550D user and love it. I love it enough that I bought another as a backup. The 50mm f/1.8 will fit and it's a great lens. It produces sharp images, great bokeh and works well in low light. Also, remember, on a crop sensor camera the 50mm is actually an 80mm with the 1.6x factor. This is a huge step up over the 18-55mm kit lens.
  • edited January 2016
    Bought my first EOS Rebel T3i and it works great! But with the standard lens that came with it, I can't get a good shot of the Moon under any zoom setting that I tried. Any tips on proper settings or lens I should get? Thanks for any helpful tips you can give me.
  • edited January 2016
    Hi @REBEL60,
    For lens you are looking for something in the range 200-300mm.
    I have the Tamron 18-270mm pzd and recently shot the moon at 270mm with spot metering turned on and the following settings
    Av = f/8
    Tv = 1/500th
    ISO = 500 (although the shots were taken with Auto ISO)
    I shot handheld so there is a slight blur, but had I used a tripod, I'm sure the shots would have been sharper.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited January 2016
    The more telephoto the better. If you're going to meter, definitely spot meter, and if the lens is not terribly long even that may well overexpose because it's metering some dark sky too. Experiment with underexposure here.

If the lens has good enough VR, you can get a good shot hand held, but you're best off with a tripod, a fast shutter speed, and a low ISO for sharpness.

If you're focusing manually, don't rely on simply cranking the lens to the infinity stop, because most zooms these days focus past infinity. You're better off being a little too short than a little too long. Use Live View screen if you can. If you're using auto focus, you're best off with single point single servo, centered.

If you're hunting for a powerful tele lens, you might look at the recent 15-600mm (ETA that's a misprint and I meant 150-600! 15 to 600 would be awesome, huge, and almost surely optically disastrous) zoom offerings from Tamron and Sigma. I don't know what, if anything, Canon offers that competes. The Sigma is said to be very good. The Tamron is quite good, although its vibration control is less effective, and sample variation seems more chancy. But these days you can get the Tamron for under $1000, which is quite a good price for the power. It's worth considering. The aperture at the longest setting is f/6.3, making focus a bit iffy in low light, but it does work.

I tried one in the store on my Nikon, and found it not bad. It was, however, not as good as the new Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6, which is what I ended up springing for.

Back when the lunar eclipse occurred, I spent considerable time getting some decent shots with a very high quality manual focus 500mm lens on a tripod. It came out well, but the other night, just for grins, I took the new Nikon zoom out, and using no compensation, just spot metering, single point AF, ISO 100, f/5.6, and aperture priority, shot the moon hand held. With absolutely no post processing, the quality was nearly as good as what I got on the eclipse. The accompanying shot is "out of the camera" except for downsampling to a smaller JPG. Something like the Tamron should come pretty close.

http://jmp.sh/0WY9GEt