Cheat Sheet For Camera Bag

edited September 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi,
I just got the T2i and I love it. I know nothing about cameras other than click and shoot. However, I did purchase the T2i for dummies and I'm currently reading that front to back (confused I might add)! I also have the 55-250mm lens along with an external flash. After reading a lot of the dummy book, I realize that there is much more than shooting in the auto mode and that I need to take advantage of each setting. My quesiton is, is there a cheat sheet for various settings that tell which setting on the camera is best for each shot and also shares which lens, fstop, iso, shutter speed, etc is best? I am most curious with the following situations: inside an auditorium (children singing), soccer field outside, and family portrait both inside and outside. I am thinking of a sheet that would look something like this:

Event Best lens ISO Fstop XXX XXXX

Soccer outside 55-250mm x x x x

Family portrait outside 18-55mm x x x x

I can always use my auto settings, but I know that using certain settings on the camera will add detailed value to each picture! Am I crazy in thinking that this info is available somewhere? Or am I crazy in thinnking that this can be created for everyone by an expert? :)

Thanks!

Jim

Comments

• edited September 2012
    I did have a lot of spaces in between event, best lens, ISO. I sort of set it up like an excel spreadsheet. I know there are a lot of variables with each setting, however having a general loose guide would be very helpful for ignorant people such as myself!
  • I'd definitely be interested in this type of cheat sheet!
  • edited October 2012
    Hi,
    Wouldn't photography be so simple if a cheat sheet was readily available. However, as you suspected, you are looking for Shangri La. As you pointed out, there are so many variables involved and that is the point; they are variables not constants. Light values can change by the second; clouds blow by, things move, the wind blows.
    To illustrate what I am saying, try this little experiment. Set your camera to P and focus on a still subject in good daylight. Take several shots allowing about 5 seconds between each.
    Now review your shots looking at the shooting information. Did the camera choose exactly the same settings for each one. My bet is that it did not.
  • edited October 2012
    @jimmyd
    @cin - The thing you two are looking for can only be made for you by you. The little experiment PBked talked about is a super idea. I have a few pocket size notebooks that I write in when shooting. I record things like the lighting, distance, and the angle that I am at compared to the subject. I look at what the camera settings are in P mode and review some shots. I used this as a starting point in the begaining of my hobby. I have since reached a point that I can remember the settings I think I want when I walk up to a scene. But all in all, the best thing you two can do is take pictures and look at them. Find the ones you like and study the setting in the information of the photo.

Happy Shooting,
    Auston