Filters - when and what type?

edited August 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
In what situations should filters be used and what type of filters should I have in my camera bag? Is there any good rules of thumb?

Comments

• edited September 2012
    I just bought a Canon 60D myself (haven't even pulled it out of the box yet) and I am also very interested in this topic. I'm going to be using it almost entirely for video by the way (if that makes a difference).
  • edited September 2012
    @Howestb- Well dear, it all boils down to one thing, how much you want to experiment with light. Personally I have felt the need for at least two filters. First is the polarized filter which is essential for your control on the exposure of the sky. Basically it helps to balance the overexposed area, while keeping the color and saturation intact. A must in your kitty.
    Second filter which I am sure you would love to buy is the ultraviolet filter. But why does the need arise when your lens already has the
    ultraviolet protection you ask? To protect the lens from the dust, snow, water drops and of course the perspiration from your hands to fingertips.
    Hope this helps.

Regards from India,
    Rajeev Moudgil
  • edited September 2012
    I too agree with Woodswill! The UV and Polarizing filters are two of the most important filters you will have in your bag. Installing the UV filter is the first thing I do when purchasing a new lens.
  • edited July 2013
    If you always go for outdoor photography, such as seashore or mountain, hen a UV filter is what you need. It can protect your lens from dust and scratches.
    Here's the new UV filter with waterproof and oil resistance ability:

http://www.amazon.com/MCUV-49-Waterproof-Scratch-Resistance-Multi-Coating/dp/B00DXJECHM/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1373938985&sr=8-16&keywords=uv+filter+mochalight
  • edited October 2013
    I purchased an uncoated polarizing filter from Camulet per the advice of a salesperson there. I live in Florida, and 90% of my photos are wildlife. He said this filter would make a noticeable improvement. I went to my local animal sanctuary and tried it out. I was told it would cut the glare from animals behind glass and help with shots of animals in water. What is the proper way to use this filter? I was rotating it and looking through the lens and honestly could not see any glare reduction/saturation of sky/ foliage etc. Only one photo out of 50 turned out decent. Can anyone please tell what I am doing incorrectly?
  • edited October 2013
    Some purist photographers are against the use of filters and claim you will get sharper shots through the lens alone. I don't know, but I would advise the use of quality filters such as Hoya. As with everything else, you get what you pay for when it comes to filters.
    Regards, PBked