Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Quality?

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon Lens Talk
Just read reviews on the lens and it appears that the quality of the one you receive is a lottery. Was going to order one online this evening but put off by reviews. Am I right to be wary?

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Howdy @micknew - People who leave online reviews represent a very small fraction of actual owners. Generally speaking they tend to be nitpickers and gear heads...I'm just sayin' :)

Having owned many lenses in my lifetime, I can honestly say that "lemon's" are present across all brands (Canon, Sigma, Tamron, etc...). In my experience, Canon does tend to have slightly higher quality control with their "pro" level lenses, but when it comes to sub $500 lenses I would put Canon, Sigma and Tamron all on the same level in terms of build quality and overall performance.

The Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (for those reading this comment - see here) is a fantastic wide-angle lens that compares very well to the more expensive Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 (see here). If the Sigma fits inside your budget and you're looking for a nice wide-angle lens, you can't go wrong. I say go for it! :)
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks Moose! Will take your advice.
  • Got it today and after a brief try out amazed with the performance.
  • @micknew - Fantastic! Yep, she's a beauty. Happy shooting :)