Busy flash signal and slow shot to shot speeds

edited April 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
This comment has been moved into it's own discussion...

@Koren's Question: I've had my 60D now for a little over 2 months. When I take images one after another (like 20-30) with my flash on I'll get a "busy" flash signal. Then I have to wait to take another photo. Also, today I was taking a series of photos, put the camera down for several minutes, then turned it back on and took a photo. When trying to take another photo and it wouldn't.

I was in full Auto and I switched over to Av and it did the same. It took one photo, but not a second! I have been testing this problem out for two days and don't know what I could be doing wrong?

I have heard that it's a common problem when using an external speedlite flash (or built-in flash). I also read that the 60D and 7D have had this problem.

In addition to the flash issue...after taking some photos, the light for the images to be recorded to the card stays on for very long periods (like 40 to 50 seconds). Why? Also, wondering if it is a good idea to get the extended warranty? Hmmm...

@Moose's Answer: That message usually appears when the built-in flash is trying to "recycle" for the next shot. A fully charged battery will increase your shot to shot speed with flash enabled, but you'll still need to wait a few seconds before trying to take the next "flash" shot. In case you're wondering, more expensive external speedlites like the 430EX II and the 580EX II have faster recycling (shot to shot) rates. To get rid of the "busy" message, just disable the built-in flash.

As for the slow write speeds, is your image quality set to RAW or RAW+JPEG? Also, are you shooting a bunch of images in a burst with Continuous Shooting enabled? Let me know. Happy shooting! :)

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Thanks for the answer moose. I searched for this and now I bump into this forum. I will try to look at what you are saying. Thanks.
  • edited June 2013
    "As for the slow write speeds, is your image quality set to RAW or RAW+JPEG?" Yes, RAW + jpg

"Also, are you shooting a bunch of images in a burst with Continuous Shooting enabled?" No

Can you comment, please?