Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G >>> Good for photographing models?

edited June 2012 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
Moose recommends this lens so I'm confident it's a good product overall. My question is whether it would work well for my intended purpose, photographing model ships. Two questions:

1. With an aperture range of f/1.8 - f/22 would this lens provide sufficient control over depth of field to photograph a ship (either viewed in silhouette or stem-to-stern) and keep the entire model in focus?
2. If I want to get in close to photograph details, would this lens be any better than the stock lens that came with it (a D3100)?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• And to add to my own question ... am I correct that the aperture range for this lens is f/1.8 - f/22 vs. just f/3.5 - f/5.6 for the D3100's stock lens?
  • edited March 2013
    This is not necessarily a Macro lens but I do take those close up pictures that require control over depth of field with it, and it has performed just fine for me. For the money, it's a good lens to have in any case.

To be clear, the range of the kit lens is not f/3.5 to f/5.6, but rather f/3.5 being the maximum when zoomed all the way out and f/5.6 being the maximum when zoomed all the way in. For example, my 18-55mm kit lens will shoot at f/3.5 at 18mm and at f/5.6 zoomed to 55mm. Hope that helps.