Macro photography with the Canon 60D

edited August 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I was talking with a fellow 60D owner over on my Facebook page and he had a question regarding macro photography with the Canon 60D. I thought it would be beneficial to share our conversation with all of you...

Alyx's Question: I was looking to get into macro photography and was wondering what tips you had?

Moose's Answer: To get started in macro photography you'll need a lens that's capable of focusing super close to your subject. If you don't have the budget for a dedicated lens and just want to dabble with macro shots, then I highly recommend the Raynox DCR-250. This macro lens adapter can snap onto lenses with a filter diameter between 52mm to 67mm and will instantly give you the ability to capture microscopic detail.

In regards to settings, I would shoot in Aperture priority (Av) and select the lowest available f-number which is determined by the lens you're using. Whenever possible, disable the flash and try to position your macro subject so that it's lit evenly by natural daylight. Happy shooting! :)

Comments

• edited May 2012
    @Moose - I read your review and the forum responses about the Raynox DCR-250. Looks like a great option. I'm looking to attach it to my Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 USM Lens.

What are your thoughts about getting the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Lens instead? Of course it's about 200 dollars more for the dedicated lens.

I additionally was thinking of getting the 'Nifty Fifty' or the Canon 50mm f/1.4. Then I'd likely purchase the Raynox lens because I couldn't afford both the 'Nifty Fifty' and the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro lens.

Just wondering your thoughts?
  • edited May 2012
    @Moose - Thank you for your info. I read it before, so I ordered a Raynox DCR-250 from BH for my 18-200mm lens.

After the Raynox 250 arrived, I found out that it doesn't match the 18-200mm lens. I need a stepping ring to work , but I don't know what kind of stepping ring I should order from the internet.
  • edited August 2013
    @deepdive - The 50mm f/2.5 macro is a bit of an oddball. Most dedicated macro lenses sport a true 1:1 lifesize magnification, which allows small subjects to fill the frame. This particular lens offers a 1:2 (0.5x) magnification so you won't have quite the macro power of a lens like the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro.

If you're just looking to dabble with macro photography for the time being, start with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (see my visual guide here) coupled with the Raynox DCR-250 (see my review here). You'll have excellent close up ability, along with sharpness and beautiful bokeh.

As a side bonus, the Raynox quickly clips on/off the lens so you can quickly jump between macro and regular shooting. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited August 2013
    @Elwyen - Ah, shucks! Yep, the Canon 18-200mm has 72mm front filter threads and the Raynox DCR-250 clip only works with 52-67mm filter threads. In order to attach it to your lens, you'll need a 72mm to 67mm step down ring (like this one at B&H).

You will experience some vignetting (dark corners), but you can easily crop it out when editing your photos. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited May 2012
    Thank you. Will do that. Also tempted to spend the extra $200 for the 50mm f/1.4. Will post my results.
  • edited July 2012
    Thank you so much @Moose, I will order one.
  • edited June 2012
    I just got the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the Raynox DCR-250 last night from BHphoto. Shot hundreds of pictures since last night. Love the capabilities of the 50mm f/1.4.

The DCR-250 is also great! Stayed up late and couldn't get to bed while taking pictures of various things. I ended up bringing the setup to work and snapping pictures of things in my office.

Great recommendations @Moose. Thank you!
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Moose, may I suggest the Automatic Kenko extension set? I used it a lot before buying my Canon 100mm F2.8L Macro.
    It has the electric connectors to be able to auto focus. Of course shooting macro is better in manual, but with lots of light I was able to take advantage of AF. The lens I used it with is the Canon 70-200mm F4L and the images captured are amazing. Any lens will fit. I've gone bonkers pairing it up with my Macro lens and boy, you get close!
  • edited August 2012
    Also use extension tubes. I have found the 85mm Canon f/1.8 with a 21mm tube works quite well. I have the Canon 50mm macro f/2.5, but it is rather soft even with spot focus. Now a question: does using the macro feature on camera make any difference? I always use Aperture value.
  • edited August 2013
    Hello @Moose! I was keen on getting a macro lens, but after reading your advice I am very excited to get a Raynox DCR-250.
  • edited May 2013
    I got the Raynox DCR-250 and attached it to my 67mm filter lens. I took some test shots with it and the pictures came with a circle in the middle. What I mean is there's black frame and in the middle is a circle which has the actual picture. Is this how you get pictures with 67mm filter lens? I appreciate your help.