Canon T3i lens for baby shots and family portraits

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
I have the Canon T3i and the 18-55 mm lens, what is the best lens for baby and family portraits? Thanks

Comments

• @charla - I would start with the nifty fifty Canon 50mm f/1.8. This affordable prime lens is capable capturing an extremely shallow depth of field (small area in focus), which gives you sharp subjects against buttery smooth backgrounds. Great for baby shots, portraits and family photos. :)
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Moose!

Just came across your thread today and been reading it since morning. It's great help to beginners like me; very simplified and straight up.

I am just starting out in this hobby and I currently own T3i with a kit lens, zoom lens and just bought a 50mm mainly for the same reason as Charla except our baby is due soon.

To add to the above question by Charla, what would be the best f-stop to cover a family of 4 to 7 with a prime lens (providing, lighting, spacing in the room for me to cover them, focus points are where it should be and my subjects have formed two rows)?

Thank you in advance.

I am not sure if I will get an alert on my e-mail when someone or you respond to this but I will keep checking for an answer.
  • edited October 2013
    I would suggest doing some test shots and go between f/5-f/8.