Cheap 2nd lens.... For a Rebel for a child

edited August 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
My first Canon SLR was the Rebel XT. I ended up getting the 17-85mm Canon lens with it. Then I got a 100-300mm Canon telephoto lens.

I recently upgraded to the 60D. I then purchased the canon 50mm f/1.4, and the Raynox macro attachment that moose recommends. So that is my personal gear at this moment.

I still have my rebel XT, which I thought about selling and using the money towards another lens or flash. On craigslist
or ebay you don't get much for it even with the starter lens (roughly $200-250 it seems). Well my 12 year old daughter who owned a point and shoot camera for the past several years started to take a photoshop class. She expressed a desire to learn more about different things in my 60D.

I figure the Rebel XT might be a great start for her. I was thinking of which cheap lens to start off. Preferably something that is an ok starter lens that she can learn with. I am not making a huge investment in the lens.

So the question is do I give her my 17-85mm and get myself a better replacement lens or do I spend a small amount of money and get her a cheap lens for the Rebel that I would probably never use myself? My hope is that she learns and develops and I can eventually let her use other lenses from time to time.

Any recommendations? Also keep in mind the typical 12 year old. She is more responsible, but kids are kids.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I would probably recommend the plastic nifty fifty (f/1.8 instead of f/1.4). It is around the $100 mark.

Maybe look for a second hand Tameron 18-200mm.

It would depend on what she is interested in shooting as well. The Nifty would be great if she just wanted it for taking photos of friends etc.
  • edited August 2012
    Thank you. The Tameron is a good option. You can find it new around 300 on amazon. I like the ability to zoom in etc. The nifty fifty is another great option at 100 dollars.

The other option was to upgrade my 17-85mm Canon lens and give her that one, but I upgrade to something better for myself. That will be a costly option. :)
  • B&H is selling the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II for only $150 and free shipping. It's a great starter's lens, fun and versatile.
  • edited August 2012
    Give her your 17-85mm, and get a nice lens for your 60D. Notice how I did not say it is for you but for your camera. ;)
  • edited August 2012
    Funny mackanno, I like how you phrase that. I wonder if I can get it past the wife with the same verbiage. :)

That's a great option Lamson. Thank you.