Recommendations for Great Walk-Around Lenses?

edited August 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I'm new to the 60D. I've done photography in the past with a Nikon D40x and Canon is impressive and so very new to me. I know that the Canon is a crop camera and I was contemplating buying a 50mm f/1.4 lens, but I realize that it's going to be about 80mm. Instead, as a walk around lens, I might want to give it a try, especially because I have a $300 limit to my lens. I've heard good things about the plastic fantastic, but I don't fancy it too well. I'm going to be taking pictures for a girls 'quinceaniera' and I don't know if the f/1.4 lens can do it all. I want to use this lens for more than just this but I realize that this will be my only lens for a while. I want to upgrade to an 17-40mm L lens but later of course. Does anyone have any good recommendations for any lens that can do anything that's not a kit lens? Does anyone have an f/1.4 attached to their 60D and if so can you tell me how you feel about it? Thank you!

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I know that the canon 60D is a crop camera. I'll upgrade to a full frame camera in time.
  • edited August 2012
    An EF-S 18-135mm IS should be ok. It's a fair lens.
  • edited August 2012
    I have a limited budget like you, so whatever lens you like, I'd recommend the refurbished route from Canon Direct. Chances are very likely that you would get a virtually brand new lens at a great price.
  • edited August 2012
    lamson is so right here. I purchased a Canon 85mm refurbished from Canon Direct and I'm very pleased with it. It has a very sharp lens and I use it with an extension tube for Macro shots. I have a macro lens, but this combo I think gives sharper images. The price was $100.00 less than new. Also have the "Nifty Fifty" 50mm 1.8II which is a very sharp lens that you can find on Amazon for $110.00 new. Don't be too concerned about the plastic mount. It's not normal plastic anyway. Unless you drop it off a cliff it will be fine. After all the optics would be damaged most likely first, as it would with most lenses with the exception of the Canon L lenses.
  • edited September 2012
    Check out eBay. I have bought several lenses off eBay including a 17-40 mm f/4 L USM used. This lens looked like it had never been out of the box and I saved 100's of dollars. You just have to know what your looking at!
    Good luck!
  • edited September 2012
    I have the nifty fifty and I love it. I bought the lens for portraits and sometimes use it to shoot sports inside a gym. Works great in both applications. I bought mine from a camera shop for $130. Hope this helps.