Settings for indoor theater performances and beauty photography

edited July 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hi everyone! I've just started branching out from videography to photography and I'm relatively new to the use of my Nikon D5100, so I would love some advice.
I would like to know what kind of settings I should use to capture indoor theater performances. Should I set it to aperture priority? Should I have the shutter speed low and the ISO high? Please let me know. I just want to make sure I get the right shots!

In addition, I would like to know what settings are best for beauty photography? A client has asked me to take some photos of her own clients at her hair and beauty salon. Any help would be fantastic. Looking forward to hearing some feedback!

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I took Moose's advise and bought the 35mm lens and the 50mm lens. Great for portraits for your beauty photography and Aperture has become one of my favorites. You don't have to worry with the shutter when using the Aperture, the camera takes care of that itself. I've just kept my camera on the ISO of 100 and Auto and let the camera pick the right ISO when Im un-sure. For the theater photos I would choose a lens that will let in a good bit of light because you are probably not going to be able to use a flash. The 50mm would work, or if you are a good bit away from the subject, choose a good zoom lens like the 24-70mm Nikon. It's expensive but worth the price if you are going to do this for a business. It has a constant f/2.8 throughout the focal range. That is my dream lens! Good luck.