Looking to upgrade my 18-55mm and 55-250mm kit lenses

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi Moose. I like the site and the easy to understand tips. I have the Canon T2i with the 18-55mm and the 55-250mm kit lenses and was wondering what you thought of them. I've heard good and bad. I can't afford high end lenses, so I was wondering how much difference there is between the kit lenses and a really good lens when your shooting outside on a nice bright day. Can you reccomend any mid range lenses that are about the same focal range that I have now...around the $500-$700 range. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• edited March 2012
    @HavToNo - Thanks for the kind words. :) It sounds like you're looking for a good all around outdoor shooter. One of my favorite lenses is the Tamron 18-270mm (see here) all-in-one lens.

This lens will effectively replace both of your lenses. The ability to quickly zoom from 18-270mm, all with one lens, allows you to be extremely creative when shooting outdoors. Instead of wondering if you should attach your 55-250mm lens, you can just easily compose the shot with the Tamron. In addition to the zoom range, you also get quick, accurate focusing and image stabilization to help reduce the effects of camera shake.

Yes, there are some great "pro" level lenses out there, capable of outstanding sharpness and clarity. However, if you're looking for a great outdoor lens that can capture everything from landscapes to distant subjects, this lens fits the bill. Happy shooting! :)
  • Thanks for responding so fast. Will the Tamron 18-270 give me any better image quality than the lenses I already have or will it be about the same.
  • @HavToNo - Yep, image quality will be on par with the 18-55mm and the 55-250mm lenses. If you're looking for a lens that specializes in a particular type of photography (portraits, sports, wildlife, macro, etc...) just let me know and I can point you in the right direction. :)
  • edited March 2012
    The two lenses that I have are my dads so I'd like to get my own. I don't mind changing lenses, so I think I'll replace these two lenses with two other lenses with about the same focal range. I'd like to get better quality lenses without breaking the bank. What would you recommend? I've been told that getting two lenses is better than one lens that covers the whole focal range. Thanks again.
  • edited March 2012
    @HavToNo - In order to match your current zoom range with a new set of lenses that "improves" on sharpness and clarity, you'll have to decide which zoom range is most important to you...the 18-55mm range or the 55-250mm range.

For example, if you mostly use the 18-55mm lens, then the Canon 17-40mm f/4 L (see here) would give you the sharpness and clarity you're looking for, but it would it up your entire budget.

Likewise, if you mostly use the 55-250mm lens, then the Canon 70-200mm f/4 L (see here) would be the next best choice, but again it would it up your entire budget.

The two lenses I recommended to you are Canon "L" series lenses which are known for their ability to capture fine detail and fantastic color tonality. Hope that helps and happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2012
    I love my 15-85mm I just picked up. I also really like my 55-250mm. Both IS lenses that really work great to keep things steady when I don't have my tripod near.
  • @t2iski - Thanks for sharing your experiences. Happy shooting! :)
  • What do you think of the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. I can get it for $679.99 Canadian. Does it have any better image quality than my 55-250 or any other advantages.
  • edited April 2012
    Not sure about the 70-300mm, only moving up a few mm and loosing a few on the wide end. I heard the pic quality is about the same as 55-250mm. The nifty-fifty is not a bad lens. I still have it in my bag. The 70-200mm L I heard is really nice glass. I mostly use my 50mm f/1.4 and 15-85mm and looking at the 30mm f/1.4 now. If I get a nice tack sharp shot, I just crop the pic and get it closer like a long zoom.

I've been really thinking of a super zoom bridged like the PowerShot SX40 HS, or Panasonic DMC-FZ150. You get 600-800mm crop zoom and a ton less $$$ then a nice long L glass for wildlife, a lot lighter to. Have fun...
  • edited April 2012
    I can get the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for $499.99 on Amazon.ca. Most of the reviews I've read said it had excellent quality in the lab tests and they said it was close to some of the L glass lenses. They said the UD element added to this lens made a big difference. They also said it did much better than my 55-250 kit lens. This is probably the lens for me considering I can't afford the lens I really want (CANON EF 100-400MM/4.5-5.6L IS USM for $1,800).
  • Howdy @HavToNo - The 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM has a couple advantages over the 55-250mm. The increase in zoom power will give you tighter framing, which effectively gives you more detail when photographing distant subjects. In addition to that, you also get a fast and silent USM focusing motor which does speed up overall performance. As for sharpness, I would say the 70-300mm has a slight edge over the 55-250mm. Best of luck in your decision. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks Moose. As it turns out, my Dad said I can keep his 55-250mm lens so now I'm thinking about the lens you suggested (Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Lens). How much better is the IQ for EF 70-200mm f/4L USM lens in comparison to the 55-250mm and the 70-300mm lenses. I guess when it comes down to it, I would rather have the IQ over the extra zoom. Thanks!
  • edited April 2012
    @HavToNo - Generally speaking, you'll get better sharpness, color tonality and overall depth with the 70-200mm f/4L (see here). For the price, it's one of the best value "L" lenses currently on the market. I will warn you though...once you shoot with "L" quality glass, it's hard to use anything else. Happy shooting! :)
  • I think I'm going to get the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. I can get it for $500 on Amazon.ca. The best price I could find for the 70-200mm f/4L is $700. I'm on a tight budget so this makes the best sense for me.
  • I ordered it yesterday so now I wait.
  • edited May 2012
    Let me know what you think about the lens. My only tele is the nifty fifty and would like one more lens to complete my set from wide to long.

Below is what's in my bag right now...
    - Canon 55-250mm
    - Canon 50mm f/1.4
    - Canon 15-85mm
  • When I ordered it they said it would be 2-10 days. With my luck it will be 10 days.
  • edited May 2012
    10 days at last call about 5:00pm...LOL
  • Well it came on day 11(that's a long time when you're waiting for something). So far I'm impressed with the IQ and the build quality. It came well packed and in a Canon box. I heard some stories about people getting it in a white box with very little packing and it looked like it had been opened. I'm going to try and get out this weekend and put it through it's paces. I'll keep you posted.