Help selecting the best AF mode

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I've been using the one shot AF mode, but I'm having a problem getting consistently crisp shots (and it's driving me crazy!!!!). I primarily shoot toddlers and families and love capturing real emotions (no saying cheese here). Should I switch to the Al Servo mode? Any other suggestions to help improve crispness? I've also decided to select all 9 focus points vs. the automatic. Not sure if that's the way to go.

I'll add that I also mostly shoot in AV mode with with my nifty fifty or Sigma 17-50mm.

As always, thanks for any advice.

Stephanie

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I'm also interested in learning more about this.
  • Glad I'm not the only one!
  • edited July 2012
    Hi there,
    First, in choosing all 9 AF points you are actually choosing automatic selection.
    You did not mention in what situations you are experiencing your problems. The nifty fifty is great for use indoors in low light, but its wide aperture leads to depth of field problems. For crisp photos you need to have an aperture that gives sufficient depth of field and a shutter speed capable of freezing the action which may mean using higher ISO. Unfortunately there are no magic settings I can suggest.
    AI Servo is great for constantly moving subjects, but I tend to use AI Focus. The benefit with this mode is that you focus in one shot and if the subject moves, the camera automatically switches to AI Servo. I also tend to use continuous shooting. By rattling off a series of shots you increase your chance of getting a keeper.
    I'm sure others will come through with more advice on this subject.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited July 2012
    "Firstly, in choosing all 9 AF points you are actually choosing automatic selection." Question then: is there a trick to getting the camera to choose the right focal point? Mine seems to pick the park bench versus the child's eyes I'm shooting (probably because of the contrast). If not, I might have to work on selecting the point. I have a fear it'll be too big of a challenge with moving children and action shots in general.

As for the situations it happens in, I had two shoots this weekend, both outside with the same problems. One was early afternoon with brighter light. The other was mid-morning. The lens I used didn't matter. After I noticed it with my 50mm I switched to my Sigma for the shoot the next day and still had the problem. I'd like to think it's me versus something mechanical.

I may have to try the continuous shooting mode. Truthfully though, I'd like to figure out how to better use my equipment first.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi again.
    I'm with your cousin, I like them too. I can see your problem though. As you say, the bench is clearer than the child's face. One of the first things I learned about taking portraits is to always focus on the eyes. On your camera, the best way to do this is to choose the center focus point. The quick way is to press the AF button (top right on the camera) and then press set. Doing this will toggle the AF between center point and automatic selection. You could still use automatic point selection by cropping your portrait tighter which would mean cutting out the furniture more and giving the AF points only the child to focus on. It looks as though you have the depth of field issue sorted.
    I hear what you are saying about using your equipment better, but continuous shooting is one way of using your equipment better. Even in posed shots, expressions change, light changes all in a split second. Professional photographers use continuous shooting for these reasons not just because they can and this was true in the days of 35mm when film was costly. Continuous shooting is one of the tools of the camera. Have you ever tried the portrait mode and wondered why it rattles off a series of shots while your finger is on the button?
    I will look forward to seeing more of your samples in the future. You have a great eye for composition and I predict your great shots will soon become fantastic shots.
    Best regards,
    PBked
  • edited July 2012
    Almost everything you want to know about AF and don't know whom to ask is in this series of videos by Canon's Rudy Winston:
  • edited July 2012
    Hello, Newbie here!
    I've just watched these video's of Rudy Winston and found them very interesting and informative. Thanks for posting.
    This is the best gadget I have ever bought and I am enjoying every minute of the learning process.

Del

Canon 60D, 15-85mm lens.
  • Del,
    I'm glad you found the videos useful. I think you would also like the following article by Rudy: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

How do you like the 15-85mm lens? I got one recently and I'm playing with it.

Lam-Son
    Canon 60D, 100-400mm and 15-85mm lenses
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Lam-Son,
    I'm really enjoying the 15-85mm lens, it's a little heavy but I guess that's the price you pay for quality. I find it covers 90% of the shots I need. The other lens I would like to play with is the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens which would then cover everything. I think the 'L' class lenses are a little beyond my reach.
    Thanks for the link, I will read it later.

Sorry for straying off topic!

Update: just read the link on the AF back button modes, what a brilliant idea! I am now a 'back button' convert. Thanks.