Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Canon lens 70-200 f2.8L IS II USM vs Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG HSM II

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I'm looking for a the best lens for taking wildlife photography. I want to go back to Alaska and have better photos next time. Now with my new T2i camera I need the best lens. The Canon rep on Facebook suggested the 70-200 f2.8L IS II USM. The camera company I spoke with today suggested the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG HSM II. I'm very new to photography, and I'm getting overwhelmed with all the research and need some advice. Thanks.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    I took a Canon 70-200mm f/4L to Alaska and was very impressed with the results. However, I wish I had more range, but I was still able to get some great shots! In Alaska, most of your shooting will be in good light and the wildlife will most likely be moving, so f/2.8 and IS will not be as important. The 70-200mm f/4L will be lighter and will still give you wonderful shots (and won't break the bank like the f/2.8L IS II).

You can pick up a refurb 70-200mm f/4L from canon for under $500.
  • @ikirumata - Thanks for sharing your experience with the lens. :)