Can I shoot fireworks with my son in the picture?

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hi,
I guess this is two part. I want to shoot fireworks on the 4th. We are going to a big display at the local high school. I can bring a small, short tripod, but don't know where to go from there. What are the usual settings on the 60D? I do have a remote, but am new at that as well.

I don't know if this is possible as I know there is a big area for a lot of movement, but is there a way to get my 12 year old son at the edge of the picture enjoying the view of the fireworks while getting the fireworks and him in focus? I know he may end up a little blurred.

Thanks!!

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Oh my goodness Ms. Ellen, you sure do ask the hard ones.
    What you are asking is possible, but very tough to do. I have just recently started trying to take some shots like this so I am more than happy to share what I have found out with you. First thing is we need to approach this shot like your earlier post. We are going to be needing a small F/stop to have all areas of the shot in focus. Think landscape, but now lets add night.
    I am going to take a guess that you not only want your son in focus, but also to lite up. Believe it or not this is the easy part. I will recommend you set up a external light from the side to softly cast light on your son. I have been working on this by using a clamp on type shop light with a 40watt soft white bulb in it. I then took white wrapping paper and secured it on the front of the light housing (I know you can buy all this stuff but I like to tinker).
    At this point we need to set our camera. To get this shot we need the fastest shutter speed we can get to catch the fireworks and freeze your son. For the depth we are looking for a F/8 or smaller. F/10 is about as small as we can get for the lighting situation we have. We can set the ISO to 800-1600 and that should bring it together. You might try a higher ISO, if you have some form of noise control software. I am thinking this should get you some shots. Also, turn your IS off and manualy focus, using the live view function of the camera. If you have a remote shutter release that will help a bunch with the shakes. Then review your shots and adjust on the fly.

I realy want to know how this does for ya, so share your results. =)
    Happy Independence Day!!!!!

Auston
  • edited July 2012
    I guess I'd better stick to learning my camera first instead of trying to do all the hard shots! ;-) We are watching the fireworks at a high school arena, so I can't really set up an external light source or control the situation too much.
    Maybe I just need to concentrate on seeing how well I do getting the actual fireworks. I appreciate you taking the time to try and figure this all out. Maybe in the future, when I feel more comfortable with my camera and can set something up, I will be able to do this.
    Thanks so much!
  • edited July 2012
    Ms. Ellen,

I will say this for you, you sure have a vision and I bet with a bit of time to get the hang of your new camera you will make it happen. Best of luck to you and happy shooting.

Auston
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks so much Auston