RAW Images

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hello, originally I was taking all my photos on the default image setting, which I believe was L rounded. I was studying a photography workshop that said to take all your photos in straight RAW. I switched it to RAW and now my photos look grainy. When I look at them in the image size in Photoshop it says the image size is 3456 pixels by 5184 pixels (Pixel Dimensions) and the document size is 14.4 inches by 21.6 inches. Also, when I try to open the file in Photoshop, it first opens it in a RAW window with a yellow exclamation mark on the photo. The only thing I did different was change the image quality to RAW. Can you please help? Thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Ms. Ronda,
    To get right to the point, when you shoot in the RAW format the image contains so much more data than when shot and converted to Jpg. This is why you are seeing the grainy image. This is to give you more data to use when processing your image. Have you made any post production changes and saved them to Jpg? When you do I bet the image has cleared up. Also, the document size is due to the amount of data in the file and that is easly resized when processed. I suggest to try and make your corrections, or just convert a few images and save them in Jpg. Then look at the two images (RAW vs Jpg) and this should give you the idea of what I am trying to describe. I hope this helps and I wish you the very best.
    Cheers,
    Auston