Lens decision

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Trying to decide between the Canon 70-300mm, Sigma 150-500mm and Tamrom 70-300mm lenses. I need to get closer to birds such as hummingbirds at feeders, hawks teaching their babies to fly and other birds in trees. I also like landscape photography and night sky photography (which I am just trying to get my feet wet now).
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I am a near beginner, so please take that into account. I have a Canon 70-300mm lens and have been very impressed. I have used it to take shots of my nephew playing rugby at Twickenham as well as wildlife in Sherwood forrest and in Florida. The lens seemed to cope with the different challenges, the light conditions and movement thrown at it.

I have no idea about the other lenses you mention, but for value I have been more than happy with the 70-300mm.
  • edited July 2012
    @JennieSW - On the 3 lens you mentioned, all of them will work for your bird shooting. I think that the Sigma will be more of what you are looking for in the wildlife catagory. It can work well in the night sky department also, when you put it on a solid tripod. But for the landscapes shots, you are really going to want a lens that will give you a wider view than any of the ones you listed above. You might want to look at something like the Canon 17-28mm, Tamron 18-55mm, or something along those lines (I am not sure on the focual ranges, I am shopping for a long lens myself).
    Again, on the landscape photos, people usually want a lens that captures the broad view.
    I hope this got you looking in right direction.
    Cheers,
    Auston
  • edited July 2012
    I bought a 60D body with no lens because the kit lenses are pretty poor compared to what you get if you spend a few dollars more. I bought a 70-200mm f/4 IS USM from Ebay (very carefully). It is the equivalent of the 90-285mm, and as an L, it is absolutely stunning. Pay a few dollars more. If you don't believe me go to a shop & try one on your body.
    Just my thoughts. My next lens will prob be 15-85mm as it performs very well in lab resolution tests as well.
  • edited July 2012
    @dmist 98, Auston, dpye: Thank you all for the recommendations. The 60D is replacing a 10-year old Sony digital camera and a stolen Panasonic point and shoot, plus I am a beginner with the 60D. So I ended up with the Canon 70-300mm because I bought it for $450 new. While I am learning the camera I want to be able to move around and the Sigma is a bit heavy for me to do that without having a monopod. As I learn more about the camera and my ability I plan on purchasing more lenses and will be willing to invest more money because I'll understand more.
  • I'm new to DSLR and I've just bought my 60D with the Canon EF 100-400mm for birds photography. I love the combo and recommend it highly, but the lens is heavy so you may want to borrow one to handle it before spending about $1400-1500.

@dpye, I bought a refurbished 15-85mm lens from Canon Direct and it is really a great all-purpose lens.
  • edited August 2012
    I agree with @dpye, I have the Canon 70-200mm f/4 non IS and it's sharp. I used woth an extesnion set for macro photography because its quality is amazing.
    @Iamson, I drool for that lens!