Error 1 issues and continuous searching using autofocus

CasCas
edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I purchased a second hand 17-85mm USM lens and have experienced some issues. I'm getting error 1 messages with the lens connected to my 60D. I've cleaned the contacts and it still gives me the same error message. Especially when it's hot outside. I rarely have problems in the barrel rooms where the temperature is low and humidity is high. For some reason it helps if I first put it in movie mode and then change it back to program mode (P).

Moreover, I have difficulties using the zoom at anything higher than 35-50mm, as the autofocus tends to search and hunt to obtain focus. Has anyone else experienced the same issues? Is the lens broken or is it not compatible with the newer body?

I'm thinking of upgrading to an "L" lens because I've lost lots of good snaps. Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• edited March 2012
    @Cas - It's sounds like there's an issue with one of the contacts on your 17-85mm lens. If you already tried cleaning it and it still produced the same error, I would return it. The 17-85mm is compatible with the 60D, which means the problem is isolated to one of the contacts on your lens.

In regards to autofocus, the faulty lens contact could have something to do with it. Does the autofocus hunt (search) while shooting in the barrel rooms or does it happen all the time (even outdoors)?
  • edited July 2012
    I had the same problem. I gather from other sites it's a known problem with the lens, with plenty of users angry that Canon won't admit it. It is nothing to do with the contacts, rather it's the electrical strap inside the lens that has failed. I think you will find it is not the heat, but the brightness that determines when it works. If you are inside the aperture does not have to close down so it works fine. Outside, in bright conditions, the aperture tries to close and fails. I'm afraid you'll have to take it to a Canon dealer, unless you are very brave. There is someone on youtube showing you how to do it cheaply yourself.
    Hope it helps.