Lens and SD choice

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hello,

I'm from the UK and I am going to purchase the 60D but I'm unsure which lens to get with it.
I currently have a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) with the following lenses:

Canon 18-55mm
Canon 50mm
Canon 100-400mm L USM
Sigma 10-20mm (wide)

I don't really want to spend over £1000 for the body and a lens. Could I get away with using the lenses I currently have or should I get a new lens? Can you recommend any?
I have considered getting a Canon 17-135mm IS. I can get this with the body for £999

Also, as the 350D uses a compact flash card, I need to get an SD card. Which would be the best for the 60D? I am intending on using the video but not a great amount.

Would this one be good?
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=111092

I will be grateful for any help.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    The 350D probably uses the EF-S mount, same as in the canon 60D, so all the lenses should be compatible. In my country, you'd get the lens along with the body at £1000. Check your local price.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi,
    As And009 says, all your lenses will fit the 60D so you could save money by buying the body only. However, that said, lenses are always cheaper when bundled with a camera. The 18-135mm has a useful range but its performance leaves a lot to be desired.
    The Sandisk card that you provided a link to would be ideal and it is an average price. You may want to consider purchasing 2 or going for a larger capacity like 16gb.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited July 2012
    Geordie,
    I just upgraded from a Rebel XT to a 60D as you are about to do. Keep your existing lenses they will work fine. Over here in Canada the 60D can come with a 18-200mm lens which I bought a couple of weeks ago. This will be my walk about lens to replace both my 18-55mm and my 75-300mm. I also plan to buy a 50mm f/2.8 as you have for portraits. Regarding SD cards, don't be tempted to buy big cards unless you plan to do a lot of video. Two or three 2gig cards are better than a bigger card because cards can go bad. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Have Fun.
  • edited July 2012
    Thank you all for your replies.

I have decided to get the body only for now and see how I get on. I have ordered a 4GB SD card for now, I couldn't find anything smaller from Sandisk or Lexar.
  • edited July 2012
    Hope you like your new Canon 60D. I have the same camera with Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 which covers most of my needs not requiring a separate ultra wide angle. This lens is the closest to a L grade lens with useful range. Also, looking at your set up, you don't seem to be covered from 55 -100mm. Try one at your nearest store and if you like it perhaps replace your 18-55mm & 10-22mm with this single walk around lens. Just a thought.
  • edited July 2012
    I dont use the video at all and have a Sandisk extreme Pro 16gb Sd card. I take alot of photos and if you use large files such as RAW, you will need a large SD card. I dont use RAW but I do take about 1000 shots or more when I go on a trip!