Newbie to SLR camera D5100

edited June 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hi Moose, so excited I found this forum. Sorry if the below may be a bit long but I am a newbie.

This is my first DSLR, so you can say I have no clue about settings, or which lenses to use etc etc.

The camera came as a kit, with the 18-55mm lens. I use it for everyday shooting and have it set on Auto (Green on the dial).
The pictures are just not sharp/clear. I do press the shutter release half way to auto focus.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I also bought a 55-300mm lens that the gentleman at B&H Photo recommended. When is it best to use this lens?
I read quite a few threads on your forum and you suggest the 35mm or 55mm lenses. Are these lenses used mainly for portraits & close ups?
Which would you suggest as a purchase?

Also, is there a DVD that I can purchase for a beginner or can you suggest some video tutorials that can shed some light on how to understand settings?

Thank You for your Patience

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hi Dalma, I am also a newbie and I just watched the OneLight Workshop by Zach Arias dvd and it helped me tremendously. It starts with the basics about what settings to use and helps you understand how to use your camera in different environments. Hope this helps.
  • Where do you find that DVD? Is it online?
  • edited August 2012
    I'm new to the D5100 and new to DSLR.
    I have the same problem; I am in focus but the pictures are not sharp and a bit yellow. Any ideas are welcome.
  • edited September 2012
    At lynda.com there is a D5100 tutorial as well as other photography classes. It will teach you the ins and outs of your camera. You can also take other classes such as exposure, aperture and lightroom. It is a fee based site at $25.00 per month and you can cancel at any time.