Macro help

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi Moose,
I bought a T2i back in 2009 after I had my son and have been loving it. I have the kit lens 18-55mm and the 55-250mm and really enjoyed those for quite a while (still do). I was completely new to DSLR's and don't call myself experienced in it at all, but I've been taking some really good shots. I got a couple of good books that have helped me learn. A friend suggested the 50mm f/1.8 and I've been liking that for creative type shots and it was cheap which was really great. I also did just buy the 85mm f/1.8 based on your recommendation in your column, because I enjoy taking portraits and I've read it's kind of close to L lens type quality. My family relies on me a lot to take the group photos and stuff at parties (and I kind of love that). I will enjoy experimenting with the 85mm when it does come. But here's where I need your advice. I have some extra cash due to an award I received at work and want to buy a really good L lens. This is really becoming an awesome hobby for me. I really really love taking macro shots. The kit lenses and the 50mm are good but even with a tripod and changing my settings around a bit, I still don't seem to be able to get as close as I'd like. I want to seriously look at things real close...with good colors too. It's fun to me. I've seen photos of L lens picture output and am in love with the color saturation and also the ability to really get crisp shots and think that's what I want for this macro stuff. I tried the extension tubes but still not what I want. I have a lovely yard with a pond, fish, frogs, birds, flowers, etc and really want something I can have fun with that's like nothing I have now. Do you have an opinion on the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM 1-to-1 Macro Lens? I heard prime lenses produce better (sharper) photos. I really want it for macros but also for other stuff since it is a little pricey. Is it only really good for Macro or can I do some nice sunset shots and everyday other shots? And more importantly if you were to recommend an L lens to someone who probably will only ever buy one, which L lens would you recommend (under 1500 bucks). I don't want to spend that much but I wanted to maybe get a couple of recommendations from you if you don't mind for the L lenses. Thanks in advance. I really really appreciate any advice you can give me. Your column here has helped me a great deal. I plan on getting the index cards (like another person wrote on here) and writing down some stuff to remember with settings, etc. to carry along in my bag. A great tip.
Thanks
Chris