Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Macro help

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi Moose,
I bought a T2i back in 2009 after I had my son and have been loving it. I have the kit lens 18-55mm and the 55-250mm and really enjoyed those for quite a while (still do). I was completely new to DSLR's and don't call myself experienced in it at all, but I've been taking some really good shots. I got a couple of good books that have helped me learn. A friend suggested the 50mm f/1.8 and I've been liking that for creative type shots and it was cheap which was really great. I also did just buy the 85mm f/1.8 based on your recommendation in your column, because I enjoy taking portraits and I've read it's kind of close to L lens type quality. My family relies on me a lot to take the group photos and stuff at parties (and I kind of love that). I will enjoy experimenting with the 85mm when it does come. But here's where I need your advice. I have some extra cash due to an award I received at work and want to buy a really good L lens. This is really becoming an awesome hobby for me. I really really love taking macro shots. The kit lenses and the 50mm are good but even with a tripod and changing my settings around a bit, I still don't seem to be able to get as close as I'd like. I want to seriously look at things real close...with good colors too. It's fun to me. I've seen photos of L lens picture output and am in love with the color saturation and also the ability to really get crisp shots and think that's what I want for this macro stuff. I tried the extension tubes but still not what I want. I have a lovely yard with a pond, fish, frogs, birds, flowers, etc and really want something I can have fun with that's like nothing I have now. Do you have an opinion on the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM 1-to-1 Macro Lens? I heard prime lenses produce better (sharper) photos. I really want it for macros but also for other stuff since it is a little pricey. Is it only really good for Macro or can I do some nice sunset shots and everyday other shots? And more importantly if you were to recommend an L lens to someone who probably will only ever buy one, which L lens would you recommend (under 1500 bucks). I don't want to spend that much but I wanted to maybe get a couple of recommendations from you if you don't mind for the L lenses. Thanks in advance. I really really appreciate any advice you can give me. Your column here has helped me a great deal. I plan on getting the index cards (like another person wrote on here) and writing down some stuff to remember with settings, etc. to carry along in my bag. A great tip.
Thanks
Chris