430EX 11

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I just bought a 430 EX 11 speedlight today and I'm really impressed with the results. I've only used it on the auto setting so far. Any advice on how to best use it would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Sorry to reply to my own post, but wow, what a difference to the on camera flash!
  • edited July 2012
    Yes it is! It's certainly more light and the ability to bounce can't be beat.

I'm still playing with mine also, but it did save me from some embarassment when a cousin asked me to shoot her recption. The outdoor shots left a lot to be desired but it was late in the evening and there wasn't a lot of light. Figure the last 15-30 mins of light, and in a valley, so it was all shadowed.

Back indoors with a 10ft ceiling I got great bounce. The light really filled in all the faces and gave a glow to hair colors.
  • edited June 2012
    Three words: Off Camera Flash!

The 60D's built in flash can be used to trigger your 430EX II for some cool portraits (the on-camera flash will still fire but won't contribute any light to the photo). You can also use the external flash to lighten up shadows or add highlights in a shot. The manual can be a bit cryptic but there are lots of good resources for how to do this online.