New to digital photography, where do I start?

edited June 2012 Posted in » General Discussion
I am brand new to the digital SLR world, where do I start?

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Hi @albrennick - A good place to start is by reading the camera manual. Learn what the controls are and do and also learn what the display icons mean. You don't want to be thinking about these things while shooting.

Go out and take pictures - lots of them. Photograph anything and everything. I would advise setting your camera to P mode at first and your ISO to auto. Don't choose important subjects, you will have to be prepared to bin a great deal of what you shoot. Some people buy a DSLR just before an important event like a once in a lifetime holiday and get very disappointed with the results especially as there is little likelihood of them getting the same shots again. The marvellous thing about digital as opposed to film, is that you can readily delete as much as you like.

Then view your pictures in something like Zoombrowser (supplied with your camera). On its menu bar are 2 very useful buttons. One enables you to view the focus points that were active when you took the shot, the 2nd presents you with the shooting information for each picture. Be critical and decide if the shot appeals to you or if it is too dark/light or sharply focussed. By using the shooting info you will be able to see which settings gave the best results.

There are many good photography books and online tutorials available, but nothing teaches better than your own experience and practice. As you progress, find out about the 'light triangle' ie. the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO.

Good luck and welcome to the world of DSLR. Regards, PBked
  • edited July 2013
    Start with composition. If you start with something that helps you, you can go out and take pictures and see them getting better. It will be enjoyable and you will want to continue to learn. Learn the basics of composition and at the same time or shortly thereafter start learning about the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Keep progressing and learning and keep it fun and interesting! :)