Nature photography with my D3100 and kit lens

edited February 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I've been experimenting with nature photography over the last few weeks, but have struggled with finding the right settings....especially when trying to get a close-up shot of flowers. I'm currently using the kit 18-55mm lens and also have a tripod. Thank you!

Comments

• @sachinsrbh - It sounds like you're interested in macro (close-up) photography. The minimum focus distance for your 18-55mm kit lens is roughly 1 ft, which means you're going to have a tough time capturing close-up detail. In order to get the microscopic detail that you're after, you'll need a lens that can focus closer to the subject.

Dedicated macro lenses can be fairly expensive. I usually recommend starting with a cheaper alternative like the Raynox DCR-250 snap-on macro lens. This adapter clips directly to your 18-55mm lens and allows you to get within a couple inches of your subject. This gives you the ability to capture detail that's hard to see with the human eye.

In regards to setup and settings, I would first zoom to 55mm on your kit lens and then enable Aperture priority (A on the mode dial). With aperture priority enabled, select the lowest available f-number...which in this case will be f/5.6.

Next, I would change your focus point to Single-point AF and adjust your focus mode to Single-servo AF (AF-S). This will allow you to pinpoint the focus point, rather than letting the D3100 decide for you. Hope this helps and happy shooting! :)
  • Very helpful advice as I am also keen on close up nature shots. I have ordered a magnification filter set which I gather will help.
  • edited March 2012
    Oh, that Raynox looks and sounds great...it's on the wish list! How would it compare to a magnifying lens? I ordered a set of three with x3, x4 and x10 magnification?
  • edited March 2012
    Howdy @JohnPaulPatton - The Raynox DCR-250 is very similar to the close-up filters you've purchased. The primary difference is how they're attached to your lens.

The Raynox clips to the front of your lens, allowing you to go from regular shooting to macro shooting in a matter of seconds. Close-up filters have to be manually screwed to the lens threads, which can take a bit longer to attach...sometimes those few seconds are the difference between capturing a shot and missing a shot.

As for magnification, the Raynox has a diopter of +8, which has slightly less magnification compared to the +10 diopter filter you have on order. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks, that all makes sense and yes, a definite benefit for the Raynox! ; )
  • Hello, What does the raynox dcr -250 do to a 55mm-200mm Telephoto lens? Can I use this with this lens?? Thanks
  • Do this Raynox DCR-250 does work for a Nikon D3100 right?
  • edited July 2012
    Very good answer.