When to Use a Circular Polarizer and Ultraviolet Filter

edited September 2013 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
Hello, I just bought two new filters for my Nikon D3100. I literally just bought the camera today so I am still learning about it! The first one is a circular polarizer and the second is a ultraviolet filter. So my question is, when, where, and how do I use them? I am new to photography obviously!

Comments

• @skowalczyk03 - The circular polarizer is best used outdoors on bright sunny days. It's primary purpose is to increase saturation and decrease reflections, giving you deeper blue skies, more cloud detail and vibrant vegetation. The amount of saturation really depends on your angle from the sun.

The UV (ultraviolet) filter is best used as protection for the front glass element. However, if you're after optimum image quality it would be best to shoot without the UV filter attached. The only time I use one is when I'm near salty ocean spray or extremely dusty environments.

Hope that helps and happy shooting! :)
  • edited September 2013
    I think the CPL can also be used when shooting water. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • edited April 2012
    @Punnyabrata - Yep, that's correct. CPL's can remove glare and strong highlights off the water's surface.
  • edited September 2013
    I currently have the Hoya UV haze filter on my 18-135mm and 55-250mm lenses. Would you recommend instead using a circular polarizer for my upcoming Alaska and Hawaii cruises? Would I need to switch back and forth for landscape versus indoor pictures? Thank you!
  • edited September 2013
    I have a question to sort of go along with this. I have no filters, but hearing about this circular polarizer it seems like it might be helpful. Would you say that this or any other filters are a must have for photography? I mostly do portraits, although I like doing outside portraits.
  • edited September 2013
    I use a circular polarizer lens for my outdoor shots and water shots on sunny days; the difference is remarkable. My circular polarizer cost $75.00, but I see that the price varies for different kinds of polarizers. I don't know what the differences are, sorry.
  • @karebear59 - Yes, I would use the circular polarizer in place of the uv filter for your upcoming trip, however, I would only use the filter when shooting outdoors. If you're shooting indoors, remove the filter from your lens.
  • Hey @Newbie - A circular polarizer is more helpful for the background behind your subject. A CPL filter will give you deeper blue skies, better cloud detail and also saturate colors. If you like photographing landscapes or nature, a CPL is a must have.

Other than a CPL, a ND (neutral density) filter can come in hand when trying to capture movement in bright daylight. Say you want to shoot a waterfall in broad daylight, but you want to smooth out the water. A neutral density filter will allow you to do just that.

The current trend for most photographers is to achieve the "look" of certain filters using a program like Lightroom. If you don't feel like messing with a bunch of creative filters, you're money might be better spent on software and presets that offer the look of filters.

All the best!