Printing photos at home

edited May 2012 Posted in » General Discussion
I saw it in another post and it got me thinking. I'm using an Epson 1400 to print my own photos. I'm not quite sure of the cost per picture and whether or not using a printing service would be more cost effective?

With my printer on hand I can alter brightness and color as I desire. I usually first print a 4x6 and then look at it under a magnifying light for edges, color, cropping, contrast, etc... If I'm happy with the photo, I then print off a 5x7 or 8x10 based on what I'm doing with the image.

I never buy full price paper (always at half price or less) and I search online for ink deals. I'm sure I'm wasting money by printing at home, but the flexibility seems to be more worth it to me. Opinions?

Comments

• edited June 2013
    @Stalwartjah - You brought up some great points. I used to print in my studio, meticulously controlling every aspect of the print process. I have lots of buddies who still do this for presenting prints to clients and galleries.

I eventually graduated and now use online print services (MPix, AdoramaPix and BayPhoto) for the majority of my print work, both personal and business. For me it comes down to time. I just don't have enough minutes in my day to control the printing process.

If you establish a good working relationship with a reputable print service, they'll usually cater to your needs and desires for perfection. The great print shops will rework a print if you're not happy with the end result. For me, that's a huge cost and time savings.

Just my two cents! :)
  • edited June 2013
    Moose, sorry to butt into the conversation, but that makes me wonder. If you use a print service do you still need to have your own software, like Photoshop Elements or Lightroom? Do you still need to do your own processing first and then send them, or do you send them to the print service and tell them what changes to make?
  • edited June 2013
    Hi @Stalwartjah,
    Here in England it is generally cheaper to use an online service as inks tend to be pricey. Also, most online services will create an album of your photos for very little extra cost. If you do wish to print at home, you could save money by cutting out the 4x6 process. You are more likely to spot faults in a 5x7 photo anyway.

@Pat50
    It is always good to have your own software regardless. However, some online services do offer processing as part of their service.
    Regards, PBked