Entry level telephoto zoom lens for my Nikon D3100

edited May 2012 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
Hello everyone! I just graduated from a Kodak Easyshare Z980 with a built in 26mm-624mm (equivalent) lens to a Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm VR lens. It's a great camera and I'm having loads of fun with it! The thing is, I do miss the zoom ability on my old camera. Any suggestions for a decent entry level zoom lens without emptying the bank account? Thank you! Namaste!

Comments

• Howdy @techie - The Nikon 55-200mm VR (see here) is the most affordable option. When mounted to your D3100, you'll have an effective field of view comparable to a 82-300mm lens. Granted this is about half the zoom power of your Kodak Z980, but it will get you much closer to distant subjects when compared to your kit lens.

The next step up would be the 55-300mm VR (see here) which has an effective field of view of 82-450mm, giving you an extra 150mm of zoom power versus the 55-200mm.

In order to replicate the zoom range of your Z980, you'd have to invest in an expensive super telephoto lens in addition to a teleconverter that would double your zoom power. Hope that all makes sense. Happy shooting! :)