Starter Arsenal (Accessories) for the D5100

edited May 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Nikon D5100 with kit lens, check. Nikon 55-200mm VR zoom, check. The Nikon 40mm f/2.8G macro, check. Well, I will be ordering it this week. ;)

What else would you suggest for my beginner camera bag?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    How about an extra memory card and a spare battery...especially if you like to take loads of shots to experiment with exposure.
  • edited May 2012
    Good ideas, @Dino. I may have to ask Santa for Christmas in July. :)
  • edited June 2012
    Howdy @KnittinMama - I would definitely get yourself some cleaning tools. Here's what I use (almost on a daily basis)...

1. Giottos Rocket Air Blaster (see here) - Great for getting rid of dust that settles on your lenses, viewfinder, in-between buttons and knobs, etc...

2. Retractable Goat Hair Brush (see here) or Kabuki Brush (see here) - Fantastic for getting rid of the dust or lint that the Air Blaster failed to remove.

3. Zeiss Lens Wipes (see here) - If you get finger smudges or residue on your lens, these wipes work wonders. Plus, each wipes comes in a self contained foil wrapper so you can store a couple in your bag and leave the rest at home.

In regards to other "fun" accessories...

1. You might consider an entry level external flash like the Nikon SB-400 (see here) which will allow you to bounce light off a ceiling rather than directly at your subject. Great for getting natural portraits and group shots indoors.

2. If you're into landscape photography or shooting in low light, you'll want a tripod to eliminate any chance of camera shake. The Dolica 62" Proline tripod (see here) is the most affordable solution, while still maintaining good quality and performance. It's quick release ball head, allows you to easily position the D5100 and then quickly lock it into place.

3. Depending on the types of subjects and scenes you like to shoot, you could go with a Circular Polarizer or a Neutral Density filter. A circular polarizer will allow you to get deeper blue skies and more cloud detail, while a neutral density filter will allow you to slow the shutter speed down in bright daylight for capturing flowing waterfalls, streams, etc... Hoya, B+W, Tiffen and Singh-Ray all produce fantastic glass.

That should get you going in the right direction. Happy shooting! :)
  • Thanks @Moose! I think I'm going to need a bigger bag. ;) Your site has already become a favorite btw. Thanks for that too! Wish me luck. Going to take the plunge and try my hand at manual settings.
  • @KnittinMama - Ha! I know the feeling. :) Thanks for the kind words. If you get stuck along the way, you know where to find me. Happy shooting!