Problems with image quality format

edited February 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I've been using my 60D for the past 2 months and realized that with my settings set to "L", the size of my images are around 2800 pixels wide and the file size is around 4MB. Shouldn't it the image size be closer to 5000 pixels wide and the file size be closer to 18MB? Could this be a problem with my SD card or something wrong with the camera? I'm using a Sandisk SDHC (class 4) 16GB card. Thanks!

Comments

• @crudos - When the image quality is set to "L" (Rounded) you'll be using approximately 18 megapixels. I understand it can be a bit confusing, but when shooting at 18 megapixels the image size should be close to 5184 x 3456 pixels and the file size should be close to 6 MB.

To me, it sounds like your image quality is set to "L" (Jagged), which will give you an approximate image size around 3456 x 2304 pixels and a file size around 3.2 MB. If you change your image quality to "L" (Rounded), your total image size and file size should increase from where you're at right now.

In regards to your memory card, it wouldn't have anything to do with the overall image size or file size of your photos. All of that is done in-camera. Hope that all makes sense. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited February 2012
    Ah of course...I'm so foolish. It did say 18 megapixels and not megabytes. Thank you!