Indoor Flash

edited June 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hello! I'm running into a bit of a problem with the pop-up flash while photographing. It seems a bit overkill and a little harsh. If I shoot without it, I either get absolutely nothing (black image) or an extremely blurry image. I'm at a bit of a loss, and I'm sure the answer is obvious but I can't seem to figure this one out on my own.

Is there any way to shoot without the flash and get well focused and sharp images (without a tripod) or anyway to get the flash not to be so harsh and create an unnatural look to the photographs?

Comments

• I've been using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00400094S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02 with pretty good success. Bounce it off the ceiling or angle it just slightly up and it does a great job of providing very natural results.
  • edited June 2012
    You can also adjust the intensity of the on-camera flash through the menu settings if you want to give that a try. Just push the menu button on the back of the camera, and select the camera icon for Shooting Menu. Scroll down to Built-in-Flash and select OK. Now, scroll down to Manual and arrow to the right. Now you can change the setting from FULL, to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 or 1/32. Just play with these settings to see which one for your particular shot works best. Have fun!