Using AE Lock with Av mode

edited May 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I've literally had my Canon 60D and 17-85 IS USM lens just over a week, so maybe I am trying to run before I can walk with this. I'm using Av mode and experimenting with f-numbers to get the following effects...

1. Sharp foreground + soft background
2. Sharp background + soft foreground

When I get a composition I'm happy with using the viewfinder, I use the AE lock (which I assume locks in ALL the settings), however, when I take a shot it re-focuses. :-(

Maybe I am not understanding the AE lock functionality? If I set my lens to manual focus and use the physical f-numbers, I seem to have success. :-)

Your thoughts are most welcome.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Hi @TimR - Glad you are enjoying your camera. The AE lock button stands for Auto Exposure. It does not lock in all your settings.

Half pressing the shutter button will lock your focus so that you can recompose your shot, but you'll have to keep the button half pressed. If you release the button to recompose, then yes it will re-focus when you half press the button again.

By the way, well done for avoiding full Auto and jumping in at the deep end with Av. What you learn from your experimentation you'll never forget. Regards, PBked
  • edited May 2012
    @TimR - If you're interested, you can change your custom function settings so that the AE Lock button will lock focus (see page 257 of the manual). In doing this, the shutter button won't re-focus when you half-press it.
  • Howdy @TimR - As others have mentioned, the primary purpose of AE Lock is when the area of focus is to be different from the metering area. For example, say you're shooting a scene with lots of contrast (like a sunset). You can point the 60D upwards towards the sky and use AE Lock to properly meter the clouds, sun, etc... With the exposure locked, you can then recompose (reframe) your shot to include more of the landscape.

One quick way you can get around your conundrum is to first focus on a subject and then flip the AF/MF switch on your lens to the MF position. This will retain the original focus point while you lock the exposure and make other in-camera adjustments. This setup is best suited when you've got the 60D mounted to a tripod.

If you just want to focus on a subject and then recompose your shot, just set your AF mode to 'One Shot' (see page 76 of the manual) and select an AF point (see page 78).

With this setup, you'll be able to lock focus by half-pressing the shutter button. With the shutter half-pressed you can then recompose your shot for better framing. Once you're happy with the composition, fully press the shutter and your original subject should still be in focus.

Hope all of that makes sense and happy shooting! :)