D3100 audio playback quality

edited February 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
My D3100 takes great video, but the audio sounds scratchy and weird. Any ideas?

Comments

• edited March 2012
    @Hiker1 - The D3100 has a pretty average internal monaural microphone just above the 'D3100' logo on the front of the camera. Unfortunately, it doesn't do so well with distant subjects or with wind. In addition to that, it can sometimes pick up the sounds produced by autofocus or when adjusting your lens. If you want better audio quality, you'll need to record audio separately using a portable digital recorder and then sync it with the video in post-processing.
  • Thanks, will do!
  • Can you add an external mic to this camera? I though it had no means of doing this? I would love to use it for filming my band if possible but the mic can't really get the low end at all tho to be fair we do heavy rock and it's pretty loud as well! : )
  • edited March 2012
    Howdy @JohnPaulPatton - Unfortunately the D3100 doesn't come with an audio input jack, so you have to record audio with a portable recorder and then sync it to the video in post processing.

The H1 Zoom recorder (see here) is an affordable solution, giving you much better audio quality...especially when recording musicians, bands, etc... If you don't have a third hand available, you can slide it onto the hot shoe using a threaded adapter (see here). Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2012
    Awesome! Thanks a million...and so my wish list grows...great! :)