Zoom Problems

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
When trying to take pictures of flowers close up my camera won't take the picture. I've had the problem in both auto and the close up function. Does anyone know if this could be a problem with my camera? Yes, it is on, and no, the lens cover is not on. I was thinking that maybe I was just blocking out too much light by bringing the camera so close to the object? I'm still learning so any tips you have would be helpful. I just have the stock lens that came with the camera, nothing else yet.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hi,
    On the auto setting, if the camera cannot make the exposure or focus, it will not take the picture. Beware the 'macro' mode - it does not work like a point+shoot and enable you to photograph closer to the object than the lens will allow. For the 18-55mm kit lens this distance is 25cm (just under a foot).
    For the best close-up results you need to have a macro lens, extension tubes, close-up filters or an accessory such as the Raynox (mentioned a lot on these forums).
    However, some close-ups can be achieved with the kit lens. Use it on wide angle and set aperture priority and f3.5 on your lens and auto ISO. Keep the distance to just over a foot (ideally use a tripod). You can always crop your subject in a photo editing package to give you more enlargement.
  • Thank you for your tips!