Washed out sunset (pinks appear orange)...help!

edited June 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I've recently "upgraded" to a D3100 from a D40 as a hobby photographer and also to unwind after stressful work I do. Probation :(

Very happy overall, and I play with moving water shots regularly. I've read the bumpf, but I'm having an issue over the pictures I love to take (mainly sunsets) appearing "washed out" or pink, typically seen at the end of a nice sunset. It's very annoying.

At first I thought I was on AUTO and ensured I was on A or S but no dice. I've tried my circular polarizer too but it's not half as pink as I see with the naked eye. In fact, the images are predominantly orange.

It's not the end of the world, just wondering what I'm doing wrong!! Btw, I haven't adjusted White Balance/ISO as I tend to get confused over the use of these. :(

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Set the white balance to auto and forget about it. What shutter speed are you using? In order to get good color saturation, you'll probably want to go slow. BTW, I shoot EVERYTHING on manual mode, that way I'm in control.
  • edited June 2012
    Hi bpress 54, thanks. Adjusting the shutter excercise seemed to solve it. I'm just not used to so much fiddling!! Thanks.