Understanding P, S, A and M modes

edited May 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I'm still not sure what to do with the P, S, A & M modes and how they function. Could you explain that for dummies please? Thank you!

Comments

• Howdy @nwalk1 - Here's my quick cheat sheet...

P (Program) - This is most similar to Auto mode. Use this mode when you want to adjust additional settings like flash, white balance, focus modes, etc...

S (Shutter priority) - You select the shutter speed and the D3100 selects the aperture. Use this mode when you want to control movement, like freezing fast action or capturing motion blur.

A (Aperture priority) - You select the aperture and the D3100 selects the shutter speed. Use this mode when you want to control the depth of field. Lower f-numbers isolate subjects against smooth backgrounds, while higher f-numbers put more of the scene into focus.

M (Manual) - You select the aperture and shutter speed. This mode is meant for intermediate to advanced photographers, who understand how aperture and shutter speed work together to create an accurate exposure.

Hope that all makes sense and happy shooting! :)
  • I'm mostly taking still photos, i.e., weddings, graduations things of that nature; so should I always be P Mode when taking simple photos?
  • edited July 2012
    I tried the S mode at a rodeo and my subjects came out dark. Any suggestions?