Looking for advice for mid-range upgrade to kit 18-55 lens

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi,

I am new into this photography stuff and I'm really enjoying it. I started like most with the T2i and the 18-55mm kit lens. I quickly added the 55-250mm lens, and then also added the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. Using the prime lens has really "opened my eyes" to the value of a fast lens. So, while I don't really have immediate complaints about the kit lens, I wonder how much better it could be if I upgraded it.

One lens that has caught my eye is the Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8. This lens was originally offered without vibration compensation, and now includes it on the more recent model. There seem to be generally favorable reviews, and it isn't super expensive. I would be interested in your comments about whether or not this lens would give marked improvement over the Canon kit lens or not. I would also be interested in anyone's comments about the vale of vibration compensation (VC) for this lens. Many of the reviews claim the non-VC version of this lens is actually sharper than the VC version. Further, I wonder how much value VC has in this 17-50mm range? It would seem to me that VC/IS is more valuable as the zoom range gets longer?

Thanks in advance!