Shooting with Live View

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I am new to DSLR's and just bought my 60D with Tarmon 18-270 PZD VC today. Tried to shoot via LCD display but response is slow. Looks like sometimes I can shoot but sometime not. The shutter button is just not responding. Is it something wrong with my new camera? Thanks.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hi Pmok,
    No it is not your camera. Live view is very slow. It is best suited for use on a tripod when shooting static subjects and then the large LCD comes in useful for focusing. You wouldn't want to use live view with moving subjects like sports. Also, with the Tamron lens fitted, holding the camera in front of you to use live view, you are likely to get image blur due to camera shake.
    Live view has its uses, but don't expect it to be as useful as the ones on small point and shoot cameras.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited July 2012
    @ Pmok - I just want to add to PBked. If you have the camera set to full auto (green square) then it will not take a picture if everything is not just right according to the data it sets. This will happen when using the viewfinder as well. This drove my wife crazy when I bought her a Canon T3i. So, just keep in mind that if you are using the full auto mode and the camera can't get the settings it wants, the camera will not take the shot.
    I hope this helps, and Happy Shooting.
    Auston
  • edited July 2012
    I agree with PB on the live view mode feature. I'm using it less and less. It's almost where I feel I should have gone up to the 7D now. Oh well, the 60D is just fine too.

I moved up from an SX10IS that had a rotating screen. I used it a lot! It allowed me all kinds of angles and shots without having to keep my face in the screen. I find now though, that I'm using the eye piece a lot more. The LCD is mostly just to review my shots to check my exposures and then also to change my settings. Beyond that I haven't used it as I had used it on my SX.

Open up the throttle a bit on your camera and let it play. Get into the other modes. M and Av, Tv and such. Let that pony run.
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks very much for all the great tips. Guess I will have to get used to shooting with the viewfinder!